PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
04-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Well...another weekend has come and gone and I sure had a good weekend.

Spent some time in the shop turning pens, and working on repairing a broken piano stool for our church. Anybody know how to put that nice, shinny black finish on a stool? ;)

Anyway....started turning a bowl this weekend as well. Other than that, just spent time with the family, worked in the yard....it's a shame that yard work takes away from shop time....ain't it!!! :D

Best of weeks.....

Chris Padilla
04-19-2004, 12:17 PM
Sprinklers are done! Sprinklers are done! Sprinklers are done!!! :D :D :D

Now I am going to hire someone to lay down a new lawn in the backyard 'cause I don't think I can handle lifting another finger to do anything else...I've earned the right to pay someone to finish it up for me! :) Heck, I left the new trenches open and piles of dirt here and there...they can deal with 'em!! :p

Keith Starosta
04-19-2004, 12:25 PM
I haven't had a productive weekend like that in a very, very long time! With the spectacular weather that came rolling through our Nation's capitol, I made sure that we would be tackling a bunch of those outdoor projects. Saturday, my father-in-law and I finally built my 8x8x8' storage shed. I've attached a picture of it below. It's a great little building and is significant in my woodworking endeavors in that it will allow me to finally finish assimilating out two car garage into my dedicated shop space. All lawn/play equipment now has a new home. WOOHOO!! :D

Sunday was spent prepping flower beds, buying and spreading mulch and getting our boat ready to sell. Aside from the pretty strong sunburn I'm sportin', it was a great weekend!!

Keith

Tyler Howell
04-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Shopped till I dropped. Shop makeover is coming along great. Played with the TS out feed table. Morticed in miter gage tracks and and the Kregg Clamping plate.
Tricked out the BS with a high tension spring, heavy tension crank (has a great fly wheel effect), 220v operation, 4'' DC connection, tire brush and some new Timber Wolf blades. "sweeeet".:D

Tuned up the DC replacing hose with taylored lengths of pipe. Sorry guys I bought this stuff before I joined SMC and learned the correct (PVC) way.

This work is getting in the way of my fun.;)

Take it easy Dennis. On call with little sleep NFG.

John Miliunas
04-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Spent most of the weekend in the bathroom! :( No, not sick, though I am getting sick and tired of drywall and mud and I didn't even have to do that much of it...Yet!:( But, the new shower is installed and operational! Made LOML happy, so life is good. :D

Hey Tyler, why you messin' with that outfeed table, anyway?:confused: Chances are, you'll have to rebuild or redesign it when the Bridgewood gets there, anyway!:rolleyes: Have a great and safe week, all! :cool:

Steven Wilson
04-19-2004, 2:51 PM
Busy weekend: finished stripping an old steel bed frame and used a bit of JB weld to fix a couple of loose cast pieces. Also layed out the piping diagram Oneida sent me for a new DC system and made some changes. Had a chance to play with a pressure washer I just rebuilt the pump on. Spent some time moving wall brackets around the garage in preparation of the new DC unit and Minimax combo machine (still in customs) that will arrive shortly. Besides that it was Songkran (Thai new year) so we had to pay our respects at our local temple as well as party all saturday night. It's nice to be back at work where I can relax.

Fred Voorhees
04-19-2004, 2:56 PM
Got the siding ripped down on the exterior of the room to be renovated. Now to get to raising the door about 3 - 3 1/2" so that it's once again level with the floor, which is now joisted out and insulated.

Did also manage to get in a bit of gardening, but that has a bit to go as of yet. LOML has a different list of priorities.

Jim Becker
04-19-2004, 4:14 PM
This was a "diverse" weekend...a little flat woodworking, a little turning, a 'Creeker visit from Martin Shupe, a stroll through the Philadelphia Furniture and Furnishings show, some tool maintenace and a nice dinner out at a premo vegetarian resturant. (The latter was very surprising...awesome food, despite the lack of creature-features)

The spinny project was detailed in another thread. The flat project was a new mailbox post to replace the one that a certain truck totally destroyed a couple of weeks ago. The post joins the cross-piece with a bridle joint and the decorative pieces are glued and screwed into mortises in the posts. The new mailbox arrived today, so it's going up after I'm done with my conference calls and before I head off to the April meeting of Bucks Woodturners.

Ray Dockrey
04-19-2004, 4:28 PM
Installed two new 8x7 steel garage doors and got them painted. The second one went a lot faster then the first one. I am sure glad that its done.

Jim Cunningham
04-19-2004, 5:21 PM
No shop time, but a pretty good weekend none the less. Daughter and son in law gave birth to Richard James Maston , seven pounds, two ounces and twenty inches long on Saturday at about noon. Yhis is their first abnd our first grandchild and we couldn't be happier. All are well

Jim

Terry Hatfield
04-19-2004, 6:00 PM
I worked all weekend on the garden planter box project. Obviously the construction of the boxes is no big deal, but the shoveling is!!! :eek:

This is already a raised bed so I have to shovel trenches where the box needs to be, set the boxes and then back fill. Shovel out...shovel in...shovel out...shovel in...

Geezzz, this is a bunch of work for a darn tomato. :)

I'm over half way across the garden now so hopefully in a couple more weekends I'll be done and I won't have to fight the grass and weeds in the garden nearly as much as I usually do.

t

Robert Ducharme
04-19-2004, 8:45 PM
Does it count if you finish up a project started 2 months ago on a weekend? Whoops, :eek: its not done yet :(

Jim Becker
04-19-2004, 10:23 PM
IThis is already a raised bed so I have to shovel trenches where the box needs to be, set the boxes and then back fill. Shovel out...shovel in...shovel out...shovel in...
Exactly the reason why Dr SWMBO decided to have "unencumbered" raised beds. After four seasons, they are easily about a foot and a half "thick" and only have some cedar on the downhill side to keep them in place on the slope.

Terry Hatfield
04-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Jim,

I've been doing it that way for several years. I'm doing this in the hope of more weed control. I sure hope this is all worth it in the end.

t

Kurt Aebi
04-20-2004, 8:10 AM
I finished me first 5 Freedom Pens (actually, my first 5 pens ever!)

Left to Right:

Mahogany, Cherry, Maple, Red Birch, Mesquite

Dan Mages
04-20-2004, 8:25 AM
I spent most of the weekend cleaning up the back yard. I also finished up some trim work in the kitchen. All it needs now is a few coats of poly.

Dave Anderson NH
04-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Saturday I managed to set up and do my two sequential demos on toolmaking for the Guild of NH Woodworkers without making a fool of myself to the surprise of both the crowd and myself. It actually went off quite well.

Sunday I went to work and blanked out over 3 dozen marking knife blades on the surface grinder and turned some more handles. I also spent a serious amount of time cleaning and restoring some of the tools from the toolchest my uncle shipped me from Idaho. This is a works in progress and will take several weeks before all of the contents and the chest itself are in the condition I desire.

Monday ( Patriot's Day a MA holiday where I work ) was a day of running errands, a little more toolmaking, and the evening was spent heat treating knife blades.

Tyler Howell
04-20-2004, 12:59 PM
I finished me first 5 Freedom Pens (actually, my first 5 pens ever!)

Left to Right:

Mahogany, Cherry, Maple, Red Birch, MesquiteWay to go Kurt. Great start on your down hill slide on to the dark side!;)

Kurt Aebi
04-20-2004, 2:02 PM
Thank You, Tyler,

I think that having grown up with a metalworking lathe in the basement it was inevitable that I'd be lured into the depths of THE DARK SIDE

I am working on finishing up a bookcase and build 2 wishing wells, one for LOML and her mother, so I haven't converted to being a spinny kind of guy. lol

I wasn't able to get a picture of my co-worker receiving the pen, she was too overwhelmed with emotion and too embarassed to let me get a picture of her, but her son George sent her an e-mail today and he is still out of harm's way. My goal is to have every pen I send be brought home by the soldier that receives it In GOOD Health and Spirit!

Way To Go GUYS - You ARE My Heroes, One and ALL!

Bob Hovde
04-21-2004, 2:43 PM
Stealth gloat, Jim! Congratulations, Grandpa! If I'd have known how much fun grandkids were, I'd have had them first!

Bob