PDA

View Full Version : Restored Stanley #6

Kevin Brenton
07-01-2008, 7:28 AM
I enjoy restoring old tools ,here are a few images of an English Stanley #6 I recently finished.
The wood was wet sanded with BLO up to 800 grit and then polished with a mixture of shellac and BLO.

Image 1 is before.
The others are the after.

Cheers
Kevin.

Ken Werner
07-01-2008, 7:31 AM
Looks great. Did you replace or restore the wood?

Kevin Brenton
07-01-2008, 7:53 AM
Ken ,
Original wood ,just sanded up to 4oo with sand paper ,then a heavy dose of boiled linseed oil applied , let dry for a few hours ,wipe off excess and wet sand up through the grits with wet and dry to 800 .
Then apply shellac on a linseed cloth a few drops at a time.
Let dry and apply Johnson's paste wax and buff out.

Amazing what you might find under years of sweat an dirt some times.

I also used the Johnson's wax on the jappaned finish after a good clean , which is original ,I think it came up very well.

Kev.

Frank Drew
07-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Very nice work, Kevin; looks like new. I like that size, sometimes called a fore plane.

Jim Koepke
07-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Very nice.

Restoration of old tools has also become a hobby. Just wish there was a way to make a good living. It is more a labor of love.

jim

John Dykes
07-01-2008, 1:18 PM
It's a beauty...

John Schreiber
07-01-2008, 4:38 PM
Nicely done. Amazing what hinds under all that rust.

Mike Brady
07-02-2008, 7:04 PM
Kevin, that is a fine result! From someone who has a a fair number of restorations, that is definitely well done.

Kevin Brenton
07-03-2008, 8:16 AM
Thank You Mike ,
I have a few under my belt ,its only lately that I have actually been taking and posting images of them .Have a few in the waiting list as well.
(Stanley 4 1/2 and some English oval bolstered mortice chisels)
I have done a Stanley Mitre box and saw also ,which is in another post in this forum.

You would not believe what I'm working on at the moment ,it's not wood working neanderthal related, more along the lines of metal working so I shouldn't post images of it here .
But it is a means to an end ,where I will be able to make tools for working in wood.
I work in both mediums ,one feeds the other so to speak.

Kevin.