PDA

View Full Version : *OT* Computer ? ? *OT*

W.C. Turner
03-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Hello,

All you computer gurus. Need help with a question. We got this computer in 1998. It's been called a dinosaur by todays standards. I got an email, and I've also had this window pop up on screen, when visiting various websites. The window that dropped down said; "To display this page correctly, you need to download & install the following components;

Vector Graphic Rendering (VML)
Download time; 7Min.

My computer is; Pentium (r) 32.0 MB Ram My Internet Explorer is: Version 5.002919.6307IS
Cipher Strength: 56 Bit (Update Information)
Please let me know if you need more info to answer my question, and I'll try to supply it.

If I click to "X" out of the window, I still get the information anyway, so I was just wondering if I should download this, and if it would it would further slow down my already slow dial up modem, or hurt anything otherwise?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dave Arbuckle
03-10-2003, 12:56 PM
I remember once upon a time looking up something similar to this, but I don't remember the result.

A suggestion from someone who has played with too many computers (i.e., been my job for 20 years):

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Since the pages you are looking for display properly, there is no particular reason to make the download. If I recall correctly, it is possible that something like a company logo is what is calling for the download.

Dave

Chuck Wintle
03-10-2003, 1:05 PM
You will need this to show graphics from the website. If you are using Windows 98 then it will be possible to get all the updates on the update page.

Jim Izat
03-10-2003, 1:14 PM
W.C.

If you're having trouble seeing webpages correctly what I'd suggest first is upgrading your Internet Explorer to the current version. I'd be surprised if that didn't fix it. I still have a W98 machine and the new version works just fine.

Jim Izat