PDA

View Full Version : Experience buying veneer

Mike Henderson
07-01-2008, 2:21 AM
I will be teaching a series of veneering classes for Woodcraft starting in September so I needed to buy some veneer for the class. Since this isn't for a furniture project, I'm very flexible about what I can use - mainly I need consecutive pieces and a low price - but almost light colored species will do (I also asked for some veneer for trim - various colors but only a piece or two). Not a giant order but maybe 250 square feet total.

What I did was put a message together outlining my needs and asking for recommendations that would keep my cost low. I sent the message to a number of veneer places in the US.

I was surprised by the result. One place didn't respond at all. Another sent me a message saying to look at their web site, pick what I needed and place the order - essentially a "kiss off" message. Another sent me an e-mail asking for more information, which I replied to. When I didn't receive a response, I called the guy - he was out but never returned my call.

Only one called me to discuss my needs - Brendan from Certainly Wood. I got his recommendations and told him I'd like to think it over and would call him back - he said "No problem". I reviewed his recommendations against the web site and made a few changes but generally ordered what he recommended.

I don't understand why companies "blow off" a potential customer, even a small customer. I told them I would be teaching a class, and you would think they would figure out that the students would ask where I bought the veneer, but none effectively responded except Certainly Wood. Maybe that's why Certainly Wood is big and the other companies are not so big.

Or maybe they just don't want to deal with small customers

Mike

Tom Klass
07-01-2008, 4:10 AM
You can't go wrong with Certainly Woods. I first started going there when they were in the basement of one of the buildings on campus of the univeristy. You should see the lay out they have now!!!! They are more then helpfull. I did a table for a lady that was walnut burled book matched and mirrored, two yrs later she came back wanting another, they were able to find the flitch through their paperwork and get enough to make a perfict match. I was soooo luck, they bent over backwards to help.
I highly recommend them for veneer.
Hope this eases your mind for buying from them.
Tom

Mitchell Andrus
07-01-2008, 7:27 AM
Certainly Woods is one of my best finds.

Ken Werner
07-01-2008, 7:32 AM
Thanks for posting this Mike.

Dave Tinley
07-01-2008, 10:43 AM
For veneer to keep in stock with no particular project in mind I usually buy my stuff off of ebay. But when I need something specific I use Certainly Wood. Nice folks.

Dave

Steve Bagi
07-01-2008, 11:08 AM
I've purchased veneer from Certainly Wood several times. Very nice people to deal with. Amazing veneer. My last purchase from them they included backer veneer for free.

Steve