PDA

View Full Version : Vibratory Buffer...Isn't Supposed to Work That Way

Bruce Barker
07-01-2008, 1:55 AM
I recently purchased a nice 3/4 hp Baldor slow speed bench buffer with long shafts (for knifemaking). However I appear to be too inept to use it correctly. Seems most any buffing wheel (or two) I put on it, is off center enough to make the machine vibrate. (Without a buffing wheel on it, it runs smooth as silk, and sometimes by dumb luck I mount a wheel just right and it runs smooth...but that is rare).

Is there some trick to mounting a cotton wheel on a buffer so it is balanced? Who would have thunk that would be difficult.

The buffer has a 3/4" shaft. Most wheels I get have a 1" hole in them and have an inexpensive pressed-steel 3/4 adapter that pinches the wheel in place more-or-less concentrically...is there a better way to get a centered wheel? Thanks!

Eric Gustafson
07-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Is there some trick to mounting a cotton wheel on a buffer so it is balanced? Who would have thunk that would be difficult.

I worked for a bow manufacturer who used those wheels to polish the bow limbs after finishing. They used a rasp. Turn the thing on and hold the rasp to the out-of-round cotton wheel, like turning a bowl, the wheel will become round. At least that is how I remembered it, 35 yrs ago! :eek:

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-01-2008, 11:29 AM
They used a rasp. Turn the thing on and hold the rasp

That'd do it. Just don't try to take off a low at once or it may grab the rasp and send it flying.

Bruce Barker
07-02-2008, 1:54 AM
That's a very clever solution. MAKE the wheel round. It's sort of like bringing the Mountain to Mohammed. Thanks!!

Louis Rucci
07-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Wouldn't a variable speed lathe be safer, if you can attach it?

Eric Gustafson
07-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Wouldn't a variable speed lathe be safer, if you can attach it?

My buddy does just that! He has three buffing wheels mounted on the Jet mini lathe. You still have to true the cotton buffing pads, though.

Louis Rucci
07-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Same exact lathe I have.

Bruce Barker
07-14-2008, 1:20 AM
How would a lathe be safer than a slow speed buffer? It's a clever solution but, safer? Also, with a lathe, wouldn't you have some clearance issues? THese Baldor buffers put the wheels "way out there," maybe 8" from the motor. I guess you could do the same with a lathe.