PDA

View Full Version : Hickory or Red Oak for Workbench

brett gallmeyer
06-30-2008, 10:06 PM
So here is the deal. My Dad fell both a Red Oak and a Hickory tree two years ago. He had them milled by a local guy that built his own bandsaw for milling logs on site "ex-engineer." Needless to say after two years air drying in indiana they are finally ready for projects.
I'm trying to talk my father into letting me have enough bf to build my first true woodworking workbench. So my question is which would be a better would and why? I have read many threads on using both of these matterials but nothing comparing them. I know that the norm is to use Hard Maple or Beech. However, being that i'm on a budget and nothing is cheaper than free... What does everyone think? I would love some examples or pictures are even better. Plus, general / specific info is allways helpfull.
Thanks, Brett G.

Brian Willan
06-30-2008, 10:26 PM
So here is the deal. My Dad fell both a Red Oak and a Hickory tree two years ago. He had them milled by a local guy that built his own bandsaw for milling logs on site "ex-engineer." Needless to say after two years air drying in indiana they are finally ready for projects.
I'm trying to talk my father into letting me have enough bf to build my first true woodworking workbench. So my question is which would be a better would and why? I have read many threads on using both of these matterials but nothing comparing them. I know that the norm is to use Hard Maple or Beech. However, being that i'm on a budget and nothing is cheaper than free... What does everyone think? I would love some examples or pictures are even better. Plus, general / specific info is allways helpfull.
Thanks, Brett G.

Given the choice, I would go for hickory. It is a harder wood than oak. It is a pretty tough wood too. Hammer and axe handles tend to be made from hickory.

My $0.02 worth.

Cheers

Brian Willan
Oshawa, Ontario

Dewey Torres
07-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Pat Germain is doing a bench in hickory (ongoing thread below).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=83549

Dewey

John Keeton
07-01-2008, 6:47 AM
Handles are made from hickory because it responds to torsion better than oak. It is hard, but it also has some give to it that oak doesn't seem to have. Take a small piece of hickory and put it in a vice and twist it - do the same with oak. The oak wants to stay put or break. The hickory will flex. Makes for less vibration and breakage in a handle that gets constant torsion forces.

That said, I would rather have red oak for the bench for stability. Actually, I would prefer white oak or maple - but they aren't free!!

My experience with hickory is limited, but others have told me it wants to move. However, several creekers have had good experience with it.