Traps, Poison, Water, TNT?
There wreckin the garden.

Come on Creekers I need Help!!

Steve Clardy
06-30-2008, 9:44 PM
Find entry hole if possible.

Poke garden hose down in hole.

Turn on water and flood em out.

If this doesn't work............................

Resort to TNT. ;):eek::D

Keith Outten
07-01-2008, 5:46 AM
Matt,

If its any consilation I have been fighting ground hogs for a couple of years now. I tried everything and had to resort to shooting them. I have probably shot twenty ground hogs but I can't ever seem to get the last one and the next season there are the little ones to deal with. They are the worst pest I have ever seen, the most destructive. Gound hogs will tunnel below buildings until the foundation collapses and create holes large enough to swallow a tractor.

I bought a 22 caliper single shot target rifle and put a scope on it, you have to hit em in the head or they won't die :(

Rich Engelhardt
07-01-2008, 5:54 AM
Hello,
Last one I dealt with went to that giant burrow in the sky via a ticket punched by a Sheridan Blue Streak.

Mitchell Andrus
07-01-2008, 7:25 AM
I'm on my 78th squirrell - on my ROOF! They nest in the attic.

ON MY ROOF!

I set a cage trap on the gutter and bait with peanuts.

They go away and I KNOW they don't come back... but new ones keep coming back.

Russ Filtz
07-01-2008, 8:11 AM
I've heard pouring gas down the holes will asphyxiate them. If that doesn't work, then toss in the match!

Greg Heppeard
07-01-2008, 8:48 AM
Watch Caddy Shack and take notes from Bill Murray. I'm thinking his little friends should definately do the trick.

Al Wasser
07-01-2008, 10:39 AM
try this www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/06515.html You probably have a cooperative extension service office in your area. They may have a publication that is a little more adapted to your area, but the one for Colorado should get you going

David G Baker
07-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Keith,
I have been live trapping critters for around five years and have had tremendous success. We have a college nature area where we are allowed to move the critters to and release them. This morning we went out to the large critter trap and in it was an adult groundhog. We caught three little ones last week. They like cabbage and carrots.
Red squirrels I shoot along with chipmunks and ground squirrels if I can't trap them after several tries.
I have only had one gopher show up and I ran over his tunnel with my John Deere, haven't seen any sign since.
The first sign of the critters I get active. If I don't they multiply real quick.
Right now on my front porch is a chipmunk, groundhog and a red squirrel waiting to be moved to the nature area.
The favorite food of most of the critters is the black sunflower seed. Deer love it, racoons love it, the groundhogs eat it and so do almost every other critter we have on the property. The bad thing is that rats and mice like it as well so I keep green food for them inside of all of my buildings where no other critters or pets can get at it.

Ed Breen
07-01-2008, 4:31 PM
We keep black snakes on our property, in fact if we see one on the road we'll stop and try to capture ity. They find gophers quite tasty. I also have at least two blacksnakes in my shop where they control small rodents.

Ed

Keith Outten
07-02-2008, 6:00 AM
I'll try using carrots and sunflower seeds in my trap and see if I have any luck.

Mark Patoka
07-02-2008, 7:00 AM
When I get too many squirrels taking over the backyard, I trap them using some peanut butter with bird seed sprinkled on top and it gets them every time.

When I was a kid and the gophers would proliferate, my brother and I would stick a garden hose down the hole and that would usually flush them out. The water would start bubbling right before they came up and the person holding the baseball bat knew just when to swing.....

Frank Guerin
07-02-2008, 6:58 PM
I have had very good luck with the traps that spring together like two sharp fingers. I stomp all the mounds down and in a short time one will be rebuilt. I did that one down until I find the hole and push the trap in. You may wish to tie a good string to it and stake it out side the hole.