PDA

View Full Version : i finally took the dive. First embellished bowl.

Toney Robertson
06-30-2008, 8:49 PM
I finally listened to some here that encouraged me to "help" out some plain wood and add a little (very little) pizazz. Baby steps, one can not reverse years of conservative thinking in one fell swoop. :D

My last piece of mahogany. 12 1/4" x 2 1/4", lye treated, DO and then Beall buffed. The rings are key shavings in epoxy.

We gave it away as a wedding gift.

Does this first step work?

Am I starting down the slippery slope that will lead me to carving, piercing, burning and dying? ;)

Toney

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/112-12.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/112-12A.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/112-12B.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2008, 9:04 PM
Wow Toney! Very nice bowl , great form, beautiful rich color and the embellishment adds to the beauty of the bowl! Very nice work! I am sure the couple who received the bowl as a gift will treasure it!

Bonnie Campbell
06-30-2008, 9:11 PM
I like that :)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2008, 9:12 PM
Toney....Toney....Toney! That, sir, is gorgeous! Great form....great finish....nice wood and the embellishment is just enough to add to the bowl without detracting from it. Nicely done sir!

Toney Robertson
06-30-2008, 9:55 PM
Wow Toney! Very nice bowl , great form, beautiful rich color and the embellishment adds to the beauty of the bowl! Very nice work! I am sure the couple who received the bowl as a gift will treasure it!

Well Steve, IIRC you are one of the ones that encouraged me to use the mahogany to try an embellishment so I must thank you for prodding me along.

I am pleased that you liked it. I was satisfied with how it turned out and I hope that you are right and the newlyweds like it.

Thanks,

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
06-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Beautiful Toney. The wood, the color, the treatment are beauties.

Mark Hix
06-30-2008, 10:31 PM
That a beautiful bowl. I am sure that they will treasure it.

Andrew Derhammer
06-30-2008, 11:02 PM
I love it! It has character but it's not too busy. Great work!

lynn smith
07-01-2008, 12:01 AM
WOW!!
Seriously man

Robert McGowen
07-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Very, very nice. The form and "embellishments" really work together.

Larry Marley
07-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Hey!

Have any of you guys seen my Keys?

Norm Zax
07-01-2008, 3:27 AM
Youre definitely sliding down Embilishment Creek! Well done indeed.

Dave Duane
07-01-2008, 8:06 AM
As you can see I'm new to this forum. I have only turned a little over the past few years, but just got a new lathe and plan to do a lot more. Seeing the work that you guys do is inspiring.

Toney, this bowl is simply beautiful in its relative simplicity. The form is so graceful. My question is about 'embellishments'. Obviously, that refers to a number of different things, but in this case the rings around the rim. How was that done? Again, an excellent piece of turned art.

robert hainstock
07-01-2008, 8:43 AM
Beautiful in its simplicity. You have a gift for making a proper gift. This will be treasured by the recipients. :D:D
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
07-01-2008, 8:56 AM
It is very elegant. I really like how the rings get smaller and smaller as they go inwards.

jeremy levine
07-01-2008, 9:34 AM
Wow is right , it really is a great bowl. All the elements seem to have come together for you, congrats.

Paul Engle
07-01-2008, 9:35 AM
Very nice Toney, form and demensionly very well proportioned. Looks like you maybe ready to try some index OT (NOVA style ) work. IMO it will take you up a notch and bring out more of that " artistry " hidden in side.:D

Scott Lux
07-01-2008, 4:49 PM
That is absolutely stunning. In the extremely remote chance the couple doesn't like it (1,000,000,000:1 odds) LOML wants it.

Mike Vickery
07-01-2008, 5:48 PM
Nice job, I really like what you did to this piece.

Warning though embelishments can be addictive!

Toney Robertson
07-01-2008, 10:49 PM
As you can see I'm new to this forum. I have only turned a little over the past few years, but just got a new lathe and plan to do a lot more. Seeing the work that you guys do is inspiring.

Toney, this bowl is simply beautiful in its relative simplicity. The form is so graceful. My question is about 'embellishments'. Obviously, that refers to a number of different things, but in this case the rings around the rim. How was that done? Again, an excellent piece of turned art.

Dave,

Thank you for the nice comments. I too have not been turning bowls long. The bowl pictured here was #12.

The rings are simple to do and I wish I could say that it was an original idea but it was not. I just cut grooves into the wood then I took key shavings (what is left over after cutting keys) and mix it with clear epoxy. Fill the grooves and then after curing leveling it out and sanding it down. With this piece, I then treated the wood with lye to bring out the deep red color.

Post some of the things that you have turned.

Thanks again,

Toney

Toney Robertson
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Very nice Toney, form and demensionly very well proportioned. Looks like you maybe ready to try some work. IMO it will take you up a notch and bring out more of that " artistry " hidden in side.:D

Paul,

You have me intrigued, what is "index OT (NOVA style )"?

And where do I learn about it?

Thanks,

Toney

Toney Robertson
07-01-2008, 10:56 PM
I want to thank all of you for the nice comments.

It is always interesting when you stand at the lathe and make something that appeals to you. But what you never know is whether it is going to appeal to anyone else. It appears that in this case I accomplished both goals.

Toney

Jon Lanier
07-01-2008, 11:14 PM
I think Ben put it very well, elegant. Nicely done, sir!

Jim Maxwell
07-03-2008, 5:56 AM
Toney, that bowl is very nice with or without the embellishment. But now that you are on the "slide", it is all good from now on. Once you start embellishing, there is no end, I have been there for a while now and love it.
Jim

Toney Robertson
07-03-2008, 6:54 AM
Toney, that bowl is very nice with or without the embellishment. But now that you are on the "slide", it is all good from now on. Once you start embellishing, there is no end, I have been there for a while now and love it.
Jim

So what your saying is that all hope is lost once the genie is out of the bottle? There is no going back to the simple, plain side? :D

Toney

Jim Maxwell
07-03-2008, 7:38 AM
Yep, you got it right Toney. "Plain" will now look ordinary. Try paint on the rims, boring holes either random or to form a pattern...... and that is just for starters. :)
Jim

Joseph Peacock
07-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Holy smoke that's awsome!!!!:D