PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Platinum Mortiser: A Problem and a Solution

Peter Quinn
06-30-2008, 7:21 PM
I am continuing my attempt to get the Laguna Platinum Slot mortiser to perform like a real tool. Its very close. The problem I was having is that the connection between the post (which holds the motor and XYZ table) and its base is shall I say WEAK. I don't feel the machine is actually usable as shipped, but being a frugal yankee I am determined to make this $999 machine perform. The basics are there. Strong quiet motor, solid smooth chuck, fairly accurate table mechanism.

I formed several 100# concrete blocks to add weight and much needed mass to the base which kept the thing from flopping around in use, but the base metal is thin and unreinforced, the connection flexes considerably causing the head to move around like a flag pole in a stiff breeze. Unacceptable. This tool will need complete inboard/outboard/foreboard support on longer heavier stock, and its tough to align these to a moving target!

My solution? The Yoke. I figured using 3/8" X 3" steel angle irons and 1/2"X4" sleeve bolts to attach the machine to a 12" thick, 8' high 70' long concrete wall should add the needed stability for smooth motion free operation. Sure enough once bolted into the 'Yoke' the light weight Platinum Prize Fighter starts to perform like a more robust machine. Or...at least its no longer moving.:D I may send these pictures to Laguna and offer to produce it for them as an after market accessory (sarcasm).

So what do you think?

Richard Wolf
06-30-2008, 7:35 PM
Looks like a nice solution. To bad you had to come up with it in the first place.
I've read your other post, that Laguna isn't saying much, still no response from them?

Richard

John Shuk
06-30-2008, 7:48 PM
Like Richard said. It is a good solution but $1000 isn't cheap.

Peter Quinn
06-30-2008, 7:50 PM
Looks like a nice solution. To bad you had to come up with it in the first place.
I've read your other post, that Laguna isn't saying much, still no response from them?

Richard

Richard, I had a conversation with them last week about the rails being bent, and a few days of non returned phone calls. The tech asked several times if I had 'paralleled' the rails, to which I responded "Just exactly how do you make two non linear objects parallel? How do I make two bent bars move in parallel to each other?" Crickets. Crickets.

Then I called to talk to a manager, or as I put it to the receptionist "Some one high enough up the food chain to give me an address for return shipping, cause I either need the parts to make this machine work or I need it out of my shop this week". So they found the new rails on another machine in stock and I should have them tomorrow. I hope that solves the table movement issues.

I'm not yet disappointed because I didn't expect this thing to be the highest quality tool at that price point, I just knew they had to cut corners that would have to be worked around. The Griggio I wanted was three times the price, and my hope is to make enough money using this machine to eventually buy that one, mine being a shoestring start up operation and all.

Even as is it beats the pants off my plunge router presently.

jerry nazard
06-30-2008, 8:18 PM
Peter,

Laguna CS strikes again! There was a thread that ran for quite a while over on FWW Knots... a sometimes angry thread. Laguna has some very nice machines. What is it with them??

-Jerry

Peter Quinn
06-30-2008, 9:19 PM
Peter,

Laguna CS strikes again! There was a thread that ran for quite a while over on FWW Knots... a sometimes angry thread. Laguna has some very nice machines. What is it with them??

-Jerry

They were very attentive, polite, friendly too. Basic problem in my case: they don't have any parts. None. Zilch. Which wouldn't be a problem if all the parts on my new machine were in working order. Seemed like they were hoping me or my problem would just eventually go away? In my case, that's not very likely! They don't make machines, they license and resell or just flat out resell less well known foreign manufactures goods. Most of the machines are excellent, any machine at any level can arrive with a problem, they are not equipped to deal with those problems.

If I ever need anything made by Griggio I will most definitely be buying it from a Griggio dealer, not a re-branded Laguna model. If I spoke Chinese I would ask for the manufacturers phone number or email address directly.

Again, $1000 is 1/2 to 1/3 the next available option for slot mortisers, so I am gambling that the basic components are solid and the shortcomings can be over come at minimal cost. Even given the issues with this machine, I am surprised at how quickly it hogs a fairly accurate mortise in test pieces.

jerry nazard
06-30-2008, 10:00 PM
"They were very attentive, polite, friendly too. Basic problem in my case: they don't have any parts. None. Zilch. Which wouldn't be a problem if all the parts on my new machine were in working order. Seemed like they were hoping me or my problem would just eventually go away?"

Peter,

For me, the attitude you describe changes things somewhat. Customer Service cannot be expected to perform miracles. HOWEVER, when CS people act like they don't care, or are rude, I loose interest in their company and their products. It's good to know that this is not the case here.

How are the windows?

-Jerry

Peter Quinn
06-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Jerry, Final milling starts tomorrow, i put fresh knives in the planer and jointer today, i should be gluing up the blanks for the arches tomorrow morning. Today I took a close look at my drawings and test pieces from my first set to try and remember exactly what the heck i was doing! I spent the weekend making round screens for some gable vents for the same client. I didn't want to proceed with final milling until I could move quickly into joinery and shaping. New lateral rails for the mortiser should be in my shop tomorrow, I think the mortiser will do the job either way, the yoke stiffened things up considerably. Those carbide slot cutters from Laguna sure are nice stuff..very very sharp too.

Should have some pics for the window post tomorrow.

Rob Will
06-30-2008, 11:10 PM
I was misled by Laguna as to the rotation direction. Mine is a left-only rotation so I can't use my right-hand milling machine cutters. I asked Laguna this question directly and they gave me information that was not true.

This machine reminds me of most other Chiawan machinery, it is rough.

Yes, I should have sent the junk back but I decided to replace the left-only 110v only Chiawan motor with a USA Made Baldor 3-phase motor (NEMA frame size 145T).

I'm going to turn the motor shaft down to 20mm and install a set screw in the chuck to deal with the opposite rotation.

I brought the (145T) motor home today and it looks ok but I think I will try to find another one that has a intregal brake similar to the OEM Chiawan motor.

This is a lot of trouble but I am tired of being lured by the cheap price of Chinese tools. This stuff is quick money for those that choose to import it but the long tem value is not there. After I get finished refitting this Chinese junk with high quality USA Made components, I'm never buying another.:o

Rob

Peter Quinn
07-01-2008, 9:02 PM
I was misled by Laguna as to the rotation direction. Mine is a left-only rotation so I can't use my right-hand milling machine cutters. I asked Laguna this question directly and they gave me information that was not true.

This machine reminds me of most other Chiawan machinery, it is rough.

Rob

Yup..its a bit rough round the edges. Mine was like a jumpy terrier, now its much better behaved with a stout steel collar!

The sales rep I bought it from was pretty clear about the rotation. I wonder, if they had to pick one direction, why the hell did they pick left? I asked them that and they didn't know. Standard slot cutters or end mills are so cheap I would not go through the trouble to change the motor, I'd just get a few left hand versions and move on. I'm planning to get a set of onsrud bird's mouth four flute in HSS that I saw in action at a show, they cut either direction. I ordered a few solid carbide cutters from Laguna with the machine, and they are real real nice. Like mirror polished razors, actually worth the price.

What I have not been able to deduce is can the machine be spun in reverse or not? The Rojek machine, which is so similar there must be either a shared linage or piracy, comes with a reversing switch. I'm wondering if I can rewire the starter to spin backwards or is there some electrical or mechanical reason this isn't possible? I have formally requested that LT TS contact the manufacturer for a solid answer to this question, so far no response from China.

The real bugger for me isn't slot tooling as I had none and left hand is readily available, but doweling bits in carbide tip! Nobody on this fine earth makes a solid carbide or carbide tipped brad point in left hand rotation, and custom made, well that's doable but pretty much an expensive PIA. Plus I have a few real nice long brad points for doweling that are useless with this tool.

Mike Heidrick
09-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Just an update on the new laguna. I have teh new model and I have it mounted on a mobile base from Jet. I have NO vibrations. Just to let everyone know who reads about these cheaper horizontal mortisers.

New model will not center mortise a 3/4" piece of stock out of the box though (table does not go high enough). For that I will add an auxillary table to the table top.