PDA

View Full Version : spyderco ceramic sharpening stones

Jack Camillo
06-30-2008, 5:40 PM
:confused:I noticed an ad in a woodworking magazine on Spyderco ceramic sharpening stones: no lubricant, no mess, etc. The claim is they are good for planes and chisels and the like. Anyone try them before?

Brian Hale
06-30-2008, 6:19 PM
I've had the medium one for a couple years and like it a lot. It came nice and flat and still doesn't show any signs of dishing after all this time.

They say no lubrication is required but it will clog up after awhile; i use a squeeze bottle of water with a couple drops of soap in it and that works great.

Highland Woodworking sells them.

Brian :)

Johnny Kleso
06-30-2008, 10:30 PM
I have a white stone I bought when WC closed out their house brand and I would not use it dry..

I use MS like on all my oil stones..
The ceramic stones work very well for fnishing off and wear very very slow but also cut slow so best for final honing..

I would buy another and I own at least a dozen bench stones..

Clifford Mescher
06-30-2008, 11:25 PM
I have a white stone I bought when WC closed out their house brand and I would not use it dry..

I use MS like on all my oil stones..
The ceramic stones work very well for fnishing off and wear very very slow but also cut slow so best for final honing..

I would buy another and I own at least a dozen bench stones..
Do you use mineral spirits or mineral oil on your oil stones? Clifford

Steve knight
07-01-2008, 12:05 AM
sometimes they are not flat. plus they are slow and they clog up. myself I would not waste money on them. they are not very large either.

Johnny Kleso
07-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Do you use mineral spirits or mineral oil on your oil stones? Clifford

I mostly use MS but hen its hot outside like now I have to mix in some MO with MS as the sun eveporates it off the stone in a few mins..

MO I think is way to thick for the ceramic stones..

My stone is 6x2x1/2 but think Spiderco make them 10x 2 1/2 x1/2 and like I said would only use it for final finish..

Rick Whitehead
07-01-2008, 10:44 PM
I tried the medium stone, but found it clogged up too fast when used dry.I went back to using my oilstone.
I'll give it another chance with water. If that doesn't work, I'll probably get rid of it.
Rick W

Johnny Kleso
07-02-2008, 2:42 AM
I tried the medium stone, but found it clogged up too fast when used dry.I went back to using my oilstone.
I'll give it another chance with water. If that doesn't work, I'll probably get rid of it.
Rick W

Use MS on the ceramics works very well for mine..
No need to worry about rust that way.....