PDA

View Full Version : 3HP Cabinet TS with Riving knife

Jerry Kim
06-30-2008, 3:48 PM
What are my options here? I'm building a new shop and I think TS is going to be one my of least used tools so I want to spent too much money on this. What's my best most inexpensive option with a riving knife?

Steel city ($1500 + shipped)
Grizzly ($1800 + shipped)
Jet ($2000 + shipped)

Am I missing anything else? Should I go with a cheaper hybrid version?

TIA.

Lewis Cobb
06-30-2008, 4:25 PM
What are my options here? I'm building a new shop and I think TS is going to be one my of least used tools so I want to spent too much money on this. What's my best most inexpensive option with a riving knife?

Steel city ($1500 + shipped)
Grizzly ($1800 + shipped)
Jet ($2000 + shipped)

Am I missing anything else? Should I go with a cheaper hybrid version?

TIA.

Whatever you decide buy it FAST - the prices are rising and there's no end in sight with the gas going the way it has been, and transporation in general, not to mention the steel prices due to the Chinese sucking up all the iron ore on the planet....

Roger Warford
06-30-2008, 4:29 PM
I suspect you'd be happy with any of those. I went with the Jet 5hp Deluxe XACTA Saw and love it! (Doubt that I really need the extra horses, but LOML said I could so I did! :D) It's a solid, sturdy, powerful saw. I love the riving knife and quick release features. I can remove the knife, blade cover, and anti-kick pawls in seconds and put them back just as easily. The fence is big and solid, and glides smoothly over the table.

The only minor nit I have to pick is that the extension table behind the 52" fence is badly crowned. It should be easy enough to replace with a better shop built table if I ever get a round toit.

Search through the forums and you'll find plenty of advice and reviews.

Mark Engel
06-30-2008, 5:07 PM
I suspect you'd be happy with any of those. I went with the Jet 5hp Deluxe XACTA Saw and love it! (Doubt that I really need the extra horses, but LOML said I could so I did! :D) It's a solid, sturdy, powerful saw. I love the riving knife and quick release features. I can remove the knife, blade cover, and anti-kick pawls in seconds and put them back just as easily. The fence is big and solid, and glides smoothly over the table.

The only minor nit I have to pick is that the extension table behind the 52" fence is badly crowned. It should be easy enough to replace with a better shop built table if I ever get a round toit.

Search through the forums and you'll find plenty of advice and reviews.

Here you go, Roger

http://kidsturncentral2.com/graphics/tuit2.gif

Mike Sandman
06-30-2008, 5:08 PM
The SawStop is a lot more expensive than the three you listed, of course.

I have the Jet 3 HP version and it's a fine saw. The guard/riving knife assembly is very well designed, and the saw sets up very accurately.

Prices are indeed rising due to the cost of steel and transportation.You probably ought to factor that into your timing.

Mike

John Shuk
06-30-2008, 5:12 PM
All good options. It would be hard to say which one you will be happiest with.
I would give The Toolnut a shot at giving you the best price at least on the Jet and I'm not sure if they sell Steel City. They support this forum and have great prices to boot. You can at least get an idea if the price may be a little closer than you think.
You can find info about them toward the bottom of the page. The best way to deal with them is to call the 800 number given.

John Ricci
06-30-2008, 5:18 PM
In the $2k+ arena you might check out the General 650/350R, high end Canadian made table saws. I just bought the 650R myself...

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/0general/650R_350Rt50a.html

Less money than a Sawstop and more saw IMHO. My .02Cdn.

J.R.

Kevin Davis
06-30-2008, 5:18 PM
I have the General 650R, 3 HP, riving knife and love it. Baldor Motor, great casting, easy to remove and replace riving knife and blades, flat, square. I recommend Eagle Tool and ask for Jesse. He's a straight shooter with great service and every saw gets tested before it is shipped. http://www.eagle-tools.com/

Kevin