PDA

View Full Version : Any entry-level cabinet saws sold without a fence?

Danny Thompson
06-30-2008, 2:20 PM
A while back I acquired a commercial Biesemeyer fence with 7' rail. Now that I am in the market for an entry-level cabinet saw, it seems a shame to buy a saw with an inferior fence-and-rail system.

Grizzly customer service says since fences are standard equipment, they can not be purchased without one. Do any of the manufacturers offer a fence-free option?

John Callahan
06-30-2008, 9:23 PM
Delta does- you can buy just the saw "body" (saw, motor, and either one or two cast iron extension wings)- no fence or table extension. The trick is to find one at a decent price- much of the time the bare saw is as much or more as a whole saw complete with fence. With a little patience it can be done. Saw a recon Uni saw body a month or so ago at a shop near the Twin Cities- 3hp right tilt, 1 CI wing .....$989 + tax. I'd get in the buying mode and search Amazon, EBay, Craig's List etc daily and be ready to pounce when deal is right.

Peter Quinn
06-30-2008, 9:32 PM
Hmm, scratching my head. Short of the above suggestions I'd say no, your not going to find a new cabinet saw with no fence and rails on any regular basis for sale. As an analogy, could you imagine a car maker selling an automobile without wheels and tires just in case some one had extra rims and tires that would fit? Seems unlikely.

That commercial beis fence will make a nice supplement to any base model saw which doesn't have as good a set up. Most cabinet saws by design have pretty stout rails and fence included. Can you sell the fence and rails to help pay for the new saw?

John Callahan
06-30-2008, 9:41 PM
As I type this Amazon has the Delta 36-L51 (5hp single phase left tilt) for $1441.67 to your door. Of course being Amazon this could change quickly. :rolleyes:

Chuck Tringo
07-01-2008, 2:10 PM
My recommendation, buy the Grizzly or other cabinet saw that fits your budget, install your Bise, then sell the fence that comes with it on ebay or CL, people are always looking to upgrade fences on older contractor saws that are otherwise in good shape.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-01-2008, 3:11 PM
I say buy the saw you want.
Then , take the stock fence off and use it for something else.
Your DP, band saw, a fly swatter, paint stirrer - whatever.

I found a use for the fence that came with my Crapsman Contractor saw I bought some 36+ years ago. I just can't quite remember what color paint it was that used it to stir.