PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor shed

James Hart
06-30-2008, 1:15 PM
I'm sure this has been addressed, but a search for shed brings up hundreds of threads, most of which aren't directly relevant to my question.

I'm looking to add a shed roughly 8 ft by 3 ft to my yard. The height must be below 6 feet or so due to HOA. Most of the commercail ones I'm seeing have too high of a roof at that square footage.

Anyone have a good source for sheds, or for plans to build my own.

Thanks,

Jim

jason lambert
06-30-2008, 1:41 PM
I went throught this a couple years ago, found a place local that sold pre built sheads, they where built in PA and shipped assembled to NJ. Demographic and shipping will have alot to do with the price. It was much cheaper than me just buying the lumber. I know this doesn't help but for me building one did not make sense. Besides what I bought was pretty good 16" on centers floor etc... Get it as big as you can though thoes fill up fast.

Also costco has a nice 10X10 plastic one for 1k and try sears they have plastic one close to that size. Not sure how secure you want it though.

Joe Jensen
06-30-2008, 2:30 PM
I'm sure this has been addressed, but a search for shed brings up hundreds of threads, most of which aren't directly relevant to my question.

I'm looking to add a shed roughly 8 ft by 3 ft to my yard. The height must be below 6 feet or so due to HOA. Most of the commercail ones I'm seeing have too high of a roof at that square footage.

Anyone have a good source for sheds, or for plans to build my own.

Thanks,

Jim

We built one two years ago that is semi permanent. Mine is 20 feet long, 3 feet deep, and as tall as the concrete block wall. I used the wall as the back wall of the shed. We already had a pad where the shed was going, but it had drainage issues so I put pressure treated 2 by 4s down as sleepers for the floor. My entire 20 foot side is doors, with a door on one end too. To simplify construction, I had a gate fabricator make welded door frames out of 1 inch steel tubing. I think I paid $200 for seven door frames. The roof mounts to a ledger board mounted to the back wall, with 2" of pitch towards the side with the doors. The construction is really simple. The back wall is the concrete block wall, one end is a concrete block wall. The other side and end are doors. I have 2 by 4s vertically between each door supporting a header that supports the roof. The doors are skinned with concrete sheet siding, and I used the same material for the roof. To save interior space, and since the roof span is so short, I put the 2 by 4s flat. I have no snow load here, and heck, it's a shed.

I'll take some pics and post tonight...joe

Tom Esh
06-30-2008, 6:00 PM
If you can find a supplier that builds their own, they probably can do any size you need. Place I bought mine does anything from doghouse to 4-car garage, but you'd never know just looking at their brochure or lot inventory.

Todd Bin
06-30-2008, 8:11 PM
First let me say that HOA's suck. I have recently gone through the same ordeal. Except I can and did build an 8' fence. I found a guy locally that would build my 10' X12' shed so that no matter what is would not be taller than the fence.

I am sure you have a local guy, like maybe the woodwisperer that would build a shed for you. Or there is always TuffShed. They have all kinds of sheds and shed kits not just the ones at BORG.

Good Luck.

Joe Jensen
07-03-2008, 3:21 AM
Here is the pics of the shed we built...joe
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AZEngineer/_NIK2400.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AZEngineer/_NIK2396.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AZEngineer/_NIK2398-1.jpg

David Giles
07-03-2008, 9:16 AM
How about a plastic shed? I purchased several Rubbermaid sheds from Betty Mills website. One houses the outside dust collector. The others store bicycles and garden equipment. I think the largest is 6W x3deep x 6H. Sams and Costco also sell larger sheds. If and when I move, they disassemble.

Prashun Patel
07-03-2008, 9:46 AM
Search the Family Handyman archives. Every spring/summer they come out with shed plans. What I like about their plans is that they strike a good balance between ease of implementation and a quality product.