PDA

View Full Version : something fishy here?

Chris Ricker
06-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Does this sound right to you guys?:confused:

On Sunday I posted my old table saw on CL.
Today I received a reply checking to see if it was still for sale.:)

I emailed him, told him it was still for sale and left my phone # for him to call.

I received this response:

Great, thank you for the response. I'll like to buy this item, Pls I don't have time to come have a look cause of my Job transfer, I'll take care of that by engaging the services of a mover hence I'll be sending a check and it'll be delivered via United Parcel Service, so I'll need you to provide me with the following information below to facilitate the mailing of the check, be aware that UPS does not deliver to P.O box addresses..

1.Your full name
2.Your mailing address be it residential or office
3.Your cellphone number.
4.Final Price

I'll have my mover come over for the pick up as soon as you have cashed the check. I'll appreciate it if you take down the ad from CL so as to be rest assured that I'm in hold of the item. Have a wonderful day.
This sounds fishy to me,
he has not seen the saw, not negotiated the price, not called, and wants information not pertinent to the sale
So...how would you guys handle this??

John Dodson
06-30-2008, 1:02 PM
Its bogus, I've gotten the same email on Craigs List.

If you continue to play along (which is what I did to see what the next step was), he'll tell you that the bank drafted the wrong amount (in my case $2400 for a $300 item), he'll them say go ahead and cash the check at your bank, and then wire the difference to him less an additional $100 (for your trouble). (I assume he makes money as the check turns out to be no good and the bank will then make a correction and you are out.)

I then told him that was too much trouble, I'll just return the whole $2400 to him(if he'll give me his address) and he can re-issue a $300 check --- never heard from him again. ;)

It's a pretty lame phish - but it must work on some folks.

Cheers,
john

Lee Schierer
06-30-2008, 1:02 PM
Yep, it's fishy alright. This seems to be a scam that pervades the Craiglist postings. Don't pull your ad and don't correspond with this guy or others like him or just save your self the trouble and send him your bank account information now along with the current balance.

glenn bradley
06-30-2008, 1:07 PM
Does this sound right to you guys?:confused:

You're joking, right?

Pat Germain
06-30-2008, 1:09 PM
Indeed. My wife works at a bank and sees one of these scams about once a week. There's even a warning about it posted at the teller windows. There are many variations, but it's always a check for 100% or more over teh purchase price and a request to send back the difference. The check is never any good and the person who cashes it is left holding the bag.

Good on you for smelling something fishy! Many people comply and get ripped off.

Bryan Somers
06-30-2008, 1:10 PM
Chris it probably is a scam. You can send an e-mail back saying you will gladly accept cash and you will accept it from the mover if you still have the saw when they arrive of course. You will know for sure then.

My daughter got a $3000.00 cashiers check for a $350.00 wedding dress after being told she would get a check for the amount of the dress on the buyers account.

Fred Voorhees
06-30-2008, 5:13 PM
Oh without a doubt a scam. I had pretty much the same experience trying to sell some brand new Anderson storm windows. Played along for a few days and pretty much let the dude know that I was onto him. Then, about a week later, this check arrived by UPS. Honestly, I forgot about the scam and tried to figure out who was sending me this check. Then my wife remembered that the amount was the amount that the scammer was supposed to be sending to me.

Greg Peterson
06-30-2008, 8:14 PM
#1 rule according to Craigslist:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.♣

Mike Henderson
06-30-2008, 8:33 PM
Note that he's sending the check via UPS in order to avoid the federal crime of using the mails for fraud. Anytime someone won't mail something to you it should be a big red flag.

Mike

Chris Ricker
06-30-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm not familiar with using Cl. I thought something was wrong as you all have confirmed.
Its interesting to know that these "folks" even know to avoid the USPS.

from now on "Locals Only"

Thanks Again:):):)

Craig Summers
06-30-2008, 11:08 PM
#1 rule according to Craigslist:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.♣

Or you will be dealing with folks you wish were in prison ... :eek:

I agree with the other posters ... its about as strange as a $4.00 Bill

Now, if you are interested, i have a friend in Nigeria who needs to export some extra money...... :p

Tom Veatch
06-30-2008, 11:09 PM
My only listing in CL attracted a guy who wanted me to ship a small propane tank to England with the "shipper" giving me a check for an excessive amount and my refunding the difference. I was willing as long as I retained a 10% fiduciary fee for the service and he was willing to wait 6 weeks for the check to clear prior to delivery. I never heard back so I guess he wasn't willing.

jeremy levine
07-01-2008, 9:10 AM
Just reply with this address and phone number
300 S RIVERSIDE PLAZA, CHICAGO, IL 60606
312-353-5431

Richard M. Wolfe
07-01-2008, 8:35 PM
I wish people would stop going for this type thing. Because when one in a million do....then they'll keep doing it. And we'll have to keep wading through them. :mad: