PDA

View Full Version : New here and to turning!

Lizz Porter
06-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Hello, all!
Maybe I shouldn't say I'm new to turning... I'm more of an aspiring turner. I'm actually trying to make time at lunch to run to Rockler to get my very first lathe!
My hubby builds furniture and other useful items (and lurks around here... he told me about this place) and I've decided we need more "just pretty" stuff coming out of the garage.:p

I'm in awe of the incredible skill and talent that's floating around here... I've already spent several hours poring over the work that's been posted. Y'all set the bar pretty high for a girl who's new to woodworking!

I look forward to learning from you and (eventually) sharing my work!

~Lizz

Steve Schlumpf
06-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Lizz - Welcome to the Creek! Remember we love photos - lots of them! Looking forward to seeing some pics of your new lathe - when you get it!

Bernie Weishapl
06-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Welcome Lizz. Lots of good people here and lots of knowledge. As Steve said we like pictures.

Ron Journeau
06-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi Lizz,
hope you enjoy your lunch break at Rocklers, you are on the edge of a very slippery slope, and the ride is just half the fun. Welcome to the Creek, and as stated before, we all like lots of pics.:D:D:D

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2008, 1:09 PM
Welcome to the Creek Lizz and to the Abyss! Take a photo of the money you have; frame the photo and put it on the wall near your lathe so you'll remember what it looks like!

Barry Elder
06-30-2008, 3:01 PM
Lizz, as when you were a baby, the journey to beauty begins with the first step. And another, and another! Woodturning is like that!! The more you learn, the more beauty you see! Welcome to the Abyss!

robert hainstock
06-30-2008, 3:45 PM
It is the coolest way to express the stuff coming out of the other side of the brain. Happy chips, and-- oh yes pictures.:)
Bob

Bill Bolen
06-30-2008, 6:12 PM
Welcome to the site and the poor house Lizz! Looking forward to your post of your first turning. Bonkers seem to be the favorite 1st turning. Mine sure was...Bill...

Jim Becker
06-30-2008, 8:42 PM
Welcome, Lizz!!! Always "room" for another one in the "vortex"...LOL I'm looking forward to your work, too.

Pete Jordan
06-30-2008, 9:42 PM
Welcome Lizz!

There are a bunch of nice people here who would glad to answer your questions.

lynn smith
07-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Welcome.
This is a great place, you'll enjoy be a part of it.

Larry Marley
07-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Hi Lizz,
this is a very nice place to be.
glad you are here

Larry

Lizz Porter
07-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks all for the kind welcome!
The hubby actually picked up my lathe last night AND built a stand for it, so I just need to pick up some tools and I'm ready to go! :)

Bill Bolen
07-01-2008, 2:38 PM
You better keep him! Picked up the lathe and built a stand all in a day....Yep, he's a keeper!...Bill...

Lizz Porter
07-01-2008, 3:45 PM
You better keep him! Picked up the lathe and built a stand all in a day....Yep, he's a keeper!...Bill...

Oh believe me, I know! He was even in the middle of another project and did mine while glue dried!

David Wilhelm
07-01-2008, 5:46 PM
Welcome to the creek. Look forward to seeing some of your work soon!!

Dennis Puskar
07-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Welcome to the creek Lizz I know you will enjoy talking with everybody. Great advise and friendly answers.

Dennis