PDA

View Full Version : Tire Recommendations Needed for

Bob Moyer
06-30-2008, 8:05 AM
2005 Tacoma 4x4; need to replace the factory issues Yokohoma's which lasted to 40K; looking for replacements; no off-roading but I do live in PA and need to deal with the occassional snow.

Joe Pelonio
06-30-2008, 8:09 AM
I like the BFG Longtrail T/A as long as you don't mind a slight amount of road noise compared to highway tires. Made it through 6" of fresh snow with them.

Chuck Wintle
06-30-2008, 8:13 AM
2005 Tacoma 4x4; need to replace the factory issues Yokohoma's which lasted to 40K; looking for replacements; no off-roading but I do live in PA and need to deal with the occassional snow.

I could recommend Toyo tires as they are very good quality. I have had them on my car for the lat 5 years with no problems whatsoever.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2008, 8:40 AM
Bob,

I've been running Toyo tires for 20 years or more on my SUVs, my pickup and my wifes Honda Accord. The only time I have not gotten the guaranteed mileage out of them is when they were on the vehicle for more years than I cared and were starting to show "aging " cracks and I replaced them with more Toyos.

Bob Moyer
06-30-2008, 8:51 AM
I could recommend Toyo tires as they are very good quality. I have had them on my car for the lat 5 years with no problems whatsoever.

What model? Toyos are you using, a local tire distributor recommended a Fortera for my truck.

Chuck Wintle
06-30-2008, 9:07 AM
What model? Toyos are you using, a local tire distributor recommended a Fortera for my truck.

I am using Toyo 800 Ultra all-season tires. These tires have proven to be durable and tough, given the road quality here in Montreal, they have held up well. The Fortera is a tire made by Goodyear though so not too sure about those. On the Toyo website there are several models that may suit your driving needs. And if you buy Toyo's I would check the place of manufacture to get ones made in Japan.

Pat Germain
06-30-2008, 12:12 PM
I really like Michelin tires. I've bought several other brands over the years. I always end up going back to Michelin and when I do, I'm reminded of why I like them so much. They seem to have the best combination of traction and wear properties. Somehow, they stick well and last a long time. I live in Colorado where we get a lot of snow and ice over the winter. My Michelins do very well in such environments without being noisy on dry roads. I run them on my VW Jetta and my Jeep Cherokee.

Michelins tend to be expensive. Look for sales, incentives and rebates which often come up.

Tom Godley
06-30-2008, 4:12 PM
Go to Tirerack.com -- you will get more information than you need.

If you have been happy with the ones you have I would just replace them with the same - as long as the tire has not had a design change.

On the Tirerack site you can look up all the tires that came as original equipment -- if the one you have is the only one listed then best to check why.

It is interesting to see the different tires that are often installed on basically the same vehicle to achieve the desired result.

Mike Cutler
06-30-2008, 8:33 PM
Mastercraft

Guaranteed to increase your braking distance.

Guaranteed to put your truck into a 4 wheel drift on a rainy day.

360's in the snow are no problem.

Wanna buy a set cheap.:rolleyes:,;).

On a serious note. I've been running the Toyo's and the higher rated Bridgestone Desert Duellers with good success since 1986.

Jim Becker
06-30-2008, 8:33 PM
I just browsed Tirerack.com to check on new tires for my Highlander Hybrid Limited. I will likely buy the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza based on ratings. It's not the "top" rated product (#4 overall and #2 in my size), but the various reviews I was able to scrounge up were positive. 65K mile treadwear warranty, too. I'm not going to make it to 35K on the OEM tires, unfortunately...and I'm an easy driver on tires (and brakes).

Chris Damm
07-01-2008, 7:26 AM
I have been using BF Goodrich All Terrain radials on all my trucks since 1969. They are fantastic and I usually get 70,000+ miles from a set. One set lasted 85,000 and when I traded the truck in the appraiser thought they had a lot of tread left.

Jeff Heil
07-01-2008, 2:54 PM
For what it's worth we had the Bridgestone Dueler's on my wifes Sequoia and replaced them with Michelin Cross Terrains after 45K. We were happy getting the 45K out of the Bridgestones.

Both of us feel the Michelins are a more comfortable ride and handle better in the snow. Your results may vary due to the differences between the Sequoia and Highlander. I will be putting the Cross Terrains on my Tundra when I need tires.. Discount Tire was the best price we found.

Chris Padilla
07-01-2008, 5:12 PM
www.tirerack.com (http://www.tirerack.com)

I buy all my tires from them, have 'em drop shipped to a local installer, 'nuff said. :)

Dave Lehnert
07-01-2008, 7:15 PM
It has been recommended that if you have been happy with the tires that the truck/car came with, stick with them. The car was designed to work with that tire.

Jim Becker
07-01-2008, 8:34 PM
For what it's worth we had the Bridgestone Dueler's on my wifes Sequoia and replaced them with Michelin Cross Terrains after 45K. We were happy getting the 45K out of the Bridgestones.

There are a couple different Duelers...did you have the same one I'm considering for the Highlander?

Bob Moyer
07-02-2008, 6:15 AM
It has been recommended that if you have been happy with the tires that the truck/car came with, stick with them. The car was designed to work with that tire.

Dave,

That was the reason I started this thread, I am not happy with the original tires.

Jeff Heil
07-02-2008, 3:36 PM
We had the Bridgestone Dueler H/T D840's in 265/65SR17's with black walls. I am not sure how they compare to the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's you are considering.

To be fair, we thought they were okay tires until we replaced them after 45K with the Cross Terrains. We drive a seasonal mix of snow and rain here in South Central WI. The Toyota dealer reported we did a little better than average for wear and in their experience most get about 40K from the factory tires.

My theory on tires is to get the best ones for the vehicle, since they are all that keeps you on the road.

Chris Padilla
07-02-2008, 4:15 PM
Also, rotate your tires diligently to maximize wear and longevity. I do my vehicles every 5000 miles, just a simple front to back swap.

Jim Becker
07-02-2008, 10:52 PM
The Alenzas seem to review much higher than the H/T version. But that's the same size for my Highlander if my memory is serving correctly.

Tom Godley
07-03-2008, 8:11 AM
Bob -- what was it about the tires that you did not like? Best place to start!

We have an older (2002) Nissan Pathfinder - Has about 90k on it now. Came with Bridgestone Dueler tires. They make quite a few different tires all branded under the Dueler name. They are not the same tire.

The OE tires on that car tended towards the light truck side of the Dueler line -- When it came time to replace them I went with a tire that was more of a highway SUV tire. This gave me a little more control - better in rain and also quiet.

In my area of the country I want a tire that is good in the wet as well as the dry weather - Some of the high mile 50k plus tires tend to be a little too hard for me in the rain. This car is also an extra car in the family - and as such I wanted a forgiving tire on it -- especially in the rain.