PDA

View Full Version : Rowmark Lasermax

Chris Hanson
06-30-2008, 1:02 AM
Is Romark Lasermax laser cuttable or do you have to use a sheer? I have an idea for some jewelry and need white with a black background.

Thanks!

Chris

Bob Cole
06-30-2008, 2:04 AM
It cuts very easily. The only issues I've had is the sides can get a little guey/tacky.

Keith Outten
06-30-2008, 6:18 AM
To remove the guey stuff from LaserMax use a #2 pencil eraser. The stuff comes right off and it won't harm the colored surface.

Angus Hines
06-30-2008, 10:30 AM
And another tip that paid for my DONATION (http://sawmillcreek.org/payments.php):D. Thanks Keith.

To remove the guey stuff from LaserMax use a #2 pencil eraser. The stuff comes right off and it won't harm the colored surface.

Chris Hanson
06-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks all.

Keith, you read my mind, that was going to be my followup question.

My donation paid off before I even bought my laser!

Chris

Darryl Hazen
07-01-2008, 11:01 AM
When you laser the Rowmark material with a white surface, try cleaning the dark residue that appears on the surface with a dampened Mr Clean Magic Eraser. I usually cut the eraser material into smaller pieces.

Chris Hanson
07-01-2008, 3:36 PM
I've never heard of a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser...I'll have to check that out.

Thanks to all.

Chris

Joe Pelonio
07-01-2008, 4:15 PM
One more tip. When engraving a dark color on white, especially red, if you clean off the "dust" after with any solvent including alcohol, it turns to paint and stains the white engraving. I use a window cleaner without ammonia, my favorite being Sprayway, and the color comes off onto your rag/paper towel.

Keith Outten
07-02-2008, 5:51 AM
I use a lot of LaserMax at CNU. I cut out letters and numbers for ADA door signs from the white with blue cap sheets.

After I have glued the letters/numbers on my door signs with CA glue I clean the suface with a pencil eraser. Because I have thousands of door signs to make every year I had to find a quick means to clean the surface of the letters and numbers. I have massaged every step in the process looking for any means to shave even seconds off of our fabrication time. Seconds add up big time over a year when you produce as many door signs as we do, I have trimmed about 50% of the time it takes to produce a finished door sign since I started. If I could find a better product that didn't have the guey issue I would definately change materials.

I wish I could find a bulk eraser that has the same characteristics as the pencil erasers. I have tried every other kind of eraser I can get my hands on from office supply stores to drafting supply wholesalers, nothing does the job as well so I have lots of brand new pencils with worn out erasers in my office.

Scott Challoner
07-02-2008, 9:43 AM
Keith

Maybe you can mount a pencil in your ShopBot to automate the process.:D

Cary Fleming
07-02-2008, 10:46 AM
I wish I could find a bulk eraser that has the same characteristics as the pencil erasers. I have tried every other kind of eraser I can get my hands on from office supply stores to drafting supply wholesalers, nothing does the job as well so I have lots of brand new pencils with worn out erasers in my office.
Even the pink natural rubber erasers don't give you the same results as the pencil erasers? The pencil erasers must have a higher pumice content than the standalone rubber erasers.

Mike Null
07-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Keith

Therre are a number of engravers who swear by the Magic eraser mentioned earlier. Haven't tried it yet but will on my next trip to the supermarket. (saving up to buy gas right now)

Keith Outten
07-02-2008, 6:06 PM
Mike,

I hear Ya :)

I just finished replacing the siding on my house last weekend and came home today with the first load of OSB sheet to start doing the same thing to my poor old run down barn. Building materials will put you in the poor house......but you have to walk because you can't afford gasoline :)

Mike Null
07-03-2008, 8:41 AM
Keith

I think HD will be offering a 10% discounts to vets this weekend. They usually do on the 4th and Mem. and Vets days.

andy blackett
07-04-2008, 1:52 PM
Hi,

Just been experimenting today, try "Panel Wipe" car painters use it to remove grease etc from the doors and other panels.

Used it on some red/white lasermax today and it worked a treat.

Andy

Edsel Emery
07-08-2008, 8:14 AM
I'll have to try the window cleaner trick. I've been wiping my items with cheap dish soap before lasering...then washing them.

Mike Null
07-08-2008, 8:29 AM
Hey Ed,

Welcome to SMC.

Ed is a soon to be retired teacher/coach and all round fine fellow. He does some interesting jobs which I hope he'll share with us.

Chris Hanson
07-08-2008, 12:17 PM
My lasermax arrived in the mail yesterday and I hope to give it a try in the next day or so. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Chris

Joe Pelonio
07-08-2008, 6:34 PM
Keith's eraser trick is great for small stuff, but I am working on a 100 piece job, with an arch shape. Each piece is roughly 6" x 14", so the eraser on a pencil is slooooow and tedious. I discovered by thinking about the eraser what I might substitute that would work on big things and tried a foam rubber sanding block. Works great, and conforms to the shape of the edges.

Keith Outten
07-08-2008, 9:53 PM
Joe,

Thats interesting...is the block consumed like an eraser when you use it?

Edsel Emery
07-09-2008, 8:52 AM
Well, thank you Mike! And thanks for the welcome.

Joe Pelonio
07-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Joe,

Thats interesting...is the block consumed like an eraser when you use it?
No, it can be re-used over and over. It's like using sandpaper but with a light once-over just removes the stickyness, without making dust as sandpaper would. I imagine that if it eventually clogged up it could be washed out.

Tom Cole
07-11-2008, 6:18 PM
Another thing to consider when doing red or blue over white is to laser and then remove most of the residue with 2 or three pieces of tape (similar to removing white lint from your black suit). I then wash them with dish washing soap and COLD water to remove most of the residue that does not get "taped" off. I have also had some luck blowing the dust off with my high pressure compressor (at 60PSI).

tom

Pete Simmons
07-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Joe - Where do you get

favorite being Sprayway

and is that a typo? Is it really SprayAway?

Looked in a few stores and Walmart no luck.

I have some white/red lasermax to do.

Joe Pelonio
07-18-2008, 1:01 PM
Joe - Where do you get

favorite being Sprayway

and is that a typo? Is it really SprayAway?

Looked in a few stores and Walmart no luck.

I have some white/red lasermax to do.
I get it at Costco, you have to buy 4 if I recall. It's SprayWay, no a in between. I saw it also at Ace Hardware.

Dee Gallo
07-18-2008, 1:26 PM
Pete- I get SprayWay at BJs or Sam's Club. You buy it in a 3-pack.

-dee

Pete Simmons
07-18-2008, 4:34 PM
Thanks everyone - I picked up some sprayway at Ace.

Will try it on red / white lasermax soon.

May even clean a window with it!

Scott Challoner
07-18-2008, 7:02 PM
Has anybody ever tried running large runs of plastic through a dishwasher or some other type of batch washer? We used a standard dishwasher for PCB cleaning at my last place of employment. Of course it wasn't also used to clean the dinner plates. You can also get small ultrasonic cleaners at HF.

Pete Simmons
07-21-2008, 1:37 PM
Sprayway from Ace.

Used on Red LaserMax over White.

Worked great!

Thanks