PDA

View Full Version : A Lesson in Cast Iron

Keith Starosta
04-19-2004, 7:48 AM
One of the many projects that I was able to tackle this weekend was building an 8x8 storage shed in my backyard. I'm very pleased with the outcome, and by the fact that LOML can now get all of her potting and gardening equipment out of my shop. Anyway, after all was said and done, there was a lot of small scrap laying around the yard, and I enlisted my lovely wife to help me clean up. She started picking up the cutoffs from the base of the shed, which were pressure treated 2x6. Long story short...I was so wiped out by the end of the day, I didn't bother to FULLY go through the shop to make sure all was well before calling it a day. I stepped through the door on Sunday morning, and to my extreme horror, the first thing I see is the stack of PT 2x6 chunks...sitting at the end of my TS top :eek: :mad: . I knew what I was going to find when I picked up the stack, and sure enough. I called my wife out to look at it, first thanking her again for helping me clean up, and then explaining how moisture of any kind is like kryptonite to Superman. Very bad. Oh well.....glad I've got a lot of WD40...

Keith

Tyler Howell
04-19-2004, 8:52 AM
Keith, I feel your pain!

Todd Burch
04-19-2004, 9:21 AM
Looks like there might have been a knot in that bottom 2X6. I can't tell you how many "drink rings" I have on metal in my shop. I tell people until I'm blue in the face, but some people just don't get it.

Kent Cori
04-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Keith,

You may want to try Rust Free on that large spot. A $10 spray bottle goes a long way and makes the removal process go much faster. It's made by the same people who make Boeshield T-9 which I highly recommend to protect the cast iron surface from just such an accident. You can get both from Woodcraft and several other similar sources.

Just remember, it is much less expensive to buy a couple of bottles of chemicals than a new wife! ;)

As usual, I have no affiliation with any of these manufacturers or vendors.

Keith Starosta
04-19-2004, 10:03 AM
Looks like there might have been a knot in that bottom 2X6. I can't tell you how many "drink rings" I have on metal in my shop. I tell people until I'm blue in the face, but some people just don't get it.

I guess that's what makes your work so nice. You don't miss a thing. You're exactly right on the knot in the wood. LOL!

LOML is still trying to learn the "Don't Set A Can On The Saw" rule. Someday, maybe.... :rolleyes:

Keith

Keith Starosta
04-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Keith,

Just remember, it is much less expensive to buy a couple of bottles of chemicals than a new wife! ;)

:D From what I hear, you're right!!

Thanks for the information.

Keith

Robert Goodwin
04-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Before I owned any cast iron I never thought about, but now, I cringe every time I see water/perspiration around cast iron. Norm has a couple of TOH opening segments where he leans his hand on his saw. Any there are the frequent visitors to Jim Becker’s shop who get pictures taken with hands on the USS Becker. ;)