PDA

View Full Version : Introduction...and question

Matt Black
06-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi all,
New here, amazed at all the great info available. I'm a tilesetter M-F, getting into woodworking slowly. Began remodeling our 1907 house which needs EVERYTHING so I decided a woodshop in the basement was in order. Mostly used equipment, nothing too fancy.

One machine I picked up is an older bandsaw, a Sears & Roebuck 112.23770 which was made by Parks, an 18". I don't know the best size blade for resawing-I don't have a manual or a tension guage on the saw. I plan on resawing some old fir beams, up to 10" or so wide.

If anyone is familiar with this machine and has any advice I'd appreciate it! I can post a pic if it would help.

Thanks!

Matt

Lance Norris
06-30-2008, 5:54 AM
Matt... welcome. For resawing, get a 1/2~3/4" blade with 2~3 teeth per inch. Find a local saw sharpening shop and they should be able to make your blades for you. If you dont know how long they need to be, wrap a string around the total length that the blade will cover and then measure for length. If you are new to the bandsaw, get a good book. I recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-Guide-Band-Saw/dp/1565233182/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214819614&sr=1-2