PDA

View Full Version : Norm's adirondak trio...well, 5/3 maybe...

Jason Morgan
06-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Here is a recent project that I completed. It was fun.

John Thompson
06-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Excellent work and very nice looking... What wood was used as I really can't tell from the picture?

Very nice indeed...

Sarge..

gary Zimmel
06-30-2008, 12:50 AM
A couple of cool ones on the table would finish it off....

Great job Jason!

Dewey Torres
06-30-2008, 1:53 AM
They sit up nice and high for ADR chairs which is IMHO the key to building them. It makes them so much easier to get out of once you sit down.

Let us know what you think once you get the chance to try them out some more!

Dewey

Thomas Kila
06-30-2008, 3:07 AM
Jason,
Where did you get the plans for the trio? They look great. How long did it take you to make them? And what did you use for their finish?

Jason Morgan
06-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Here is some more info.

Wood is cedar with a "natural" color Behr brand protectant on it.

Got the plans through NYW web site. Good plans. I had seen the episode a couple of times, but didnt really need it for the project.

Yes, I plan to have the cold ones on it this weekend, just in time for the 4th.

I do very much like the proportions and design. I had not sat in this particular chair design before I built it, but it is VERY comfortable and yet still easy to get out of. At first I thought the foot rests were a little unwarranted, but they turn out to be the most comfortable part of the design.

Thanks again for all the comments. Next up is getting dust collection in order.

Jim Kirkpatrick
06-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Jason, I've made a lot of these chairs over the years. Anyone who's sat in one of them, instantly wants me to make them a pair. The proportions are perfect. I think Norm designed them around his early 90's girth so are quite ample width wise.

That said, your execution is excellent! Very nice job! I've not made the table and leg rests but will do in future builds. I've seen the NYW episode for the trio. I think adding the marine adhesive to the joints was smart, I find the carriage bolts without it need semi-annual torqueing. I like to use mirante decking, ( looks like mahogony it's from the phillipines). Very hard, beautiful grain and cheaper than western red cedar.

Joe Mioux
06-30-2008, 1:47 PM
the chairs, loungers and table look marvelous.

Jason Morgan
06-30-2008, 3:26 PM
Yes, if/when I do another set of these, it will be from Ipe wood. I really like that stuff. Would end up being a lot heavier though I image.

Jim Becker
06-30-2008, 8:38 PM
Nice, Jason.

Is that the "updated" version or the original?

Jason Morgan
06-30-2008, 9:56 PM
Updated version I think. Although I do not know how much is different from the original from season 1 (I think). This is the one from season 18 (I think)

Ron Jones near Indy
06-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Darned nice looking furniture set! I think we need a couple of those. I like the finish--let us know how it holds up in the weather.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Jason--check your PMs please!