PDA

View Full Version : help needed selecting bearings for steel snake

Bill Bolen
06-29-2008, 6:01 PM
I’m looking for a bit of help and guidance from someone who knows a bit about ball bearings. I made and articulated hollower sometime ago (the steel snake) that is much like Randy’s monster hollowing tool or the Elbo tool. I used oil impregnated bronze sleeve bearings inserted into the drilled holes that mount the arms together.
See first Pic:
This worked well but I would like to upgrade to a ball bearing mount. I have found radial ball bearings for a good price on the net.
see second pic:
These will fit the holes drilled through the arms and I will only have to change the bolt size to make them fit. My problem with this type of bearing is first, how to keep them in the drill hole and aligned. Second are they offer no bearing surface that will fit between the surfaces of the two arms. Guess some sort of slick washer would have to go between the arms? I looked at this type of bearing with a flange on top that would seem to work but don’t really know if this is what I need.
See last pic:

Any help appreciated…Bill

Wayne Bower
06-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Bill, I used flat silicone bronze washers between the parts of the arm. I used the tool yesterday for the second try of a HF and everything worked well. I have looked for bearings also but not any luck. I am interested in what info comes back on this post. No real help but keep trying and if I find something I will let you know
Wayne

Geoff Hanha
06-30-2008, 1:34 PM
Mine works great have been using it for a while now and its a joy to use, i have problems with my hands and back and neck, using this takes a lot of the grief out of turning for me, lot less pain, lot lot easier. use the bearings much smoother, i have bearings top and bottom of each joint, so 4 per elbow. got mine from ebay skate bearings..Geoff

robert hainstock
06-30-2008, 3:50 PM
router bit bearings come in a large variety of sizes, and are lubed lifetime highspeed. You might try them. :)
Bob