PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Turning Experiment

Jim Becker
04-18-2004, 10:45 PM
This small vessel was turned from a chunk of MicroLam that I got from Jill Biros when I dropped off a bunch of cherry and ash a couple weeks ago. Interesting stuff...interesting look.

The material is very prone to tear-out/splintering and tends to have some voids, but the effect is really incredible, especially when viewed from the quarter.

This small 4" tall piece didn't look right all by itself, so I added a black walnut rim to finish it off. The interior is just bored with a forstner bit as I didn't have the patience to "chip out" the interior to contour...especially for an experiment. The finish is several applications of the soon-to-be-available shellac-based French polish from Zinsser mentioned by Todd in another thread.

John Miliunas
04-18-2004, 10:55 PM
Now who'd have thunk that a manmade piece of construction material would make for such an interesting piece? :eek: That is really cool, Jim! Very nice flow to the design, as well. I'd say your "experiment" was a success! Nice touch with the added rim, as well! :cool:

Julie Wright
04-19-2004, 7:31 AM
That is one slick looking piece Jim.
I had heard of this material, but have not seen any turned pieces. What a great idea.
Thanks for sharing. :D

Scott Coffelt
04-19-2004, 10:07 AM
Funny enough, I think it was in a book or maybe a magazine I read a few weeks back that suggested the same thing. That turning laminates produces some really neat items. Looks really good.

Howard Rosenberg
04-19-2004, 11:41 AM
I've often thought of using those LAMs for actual furniture myself. Nice touch with that lip - the contrast really makes the whole project jump. Howard

Dean Baumgartner
04-19-2004, 1:40 PM
I've seen some other thin veneer laminates used for the same purpose. Alternating different woods can be very striking. I've even seen a few gun stocks done that way. The turning really shows the different layers well.

John Miliunas
04-19-2004, 3:09 PM
Yikes! I sure wouldn't want to be the poor slob having to glue all them little pieces together for a complete beam! :D :cool:

Jim Becker
04-19-2004, 3:25 PM
Yikes! I sure wouldn't want to be the poor slob having to glue all them little pieces together for a complete beam!
I have no doubt that some pretty impressive "power tools" are involved...:rolleyes:

Jim Ketron
04-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Thats cool looking Jim
I seen a lot of beams made of that on diff jobsites. As a matter of fact I will be going to a job next week that had some pieces left over I'll try to get some to try for myself.
Thanks for the post
Jim

Jim Becker
04-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Yes, do try it out. The orientation for this piece was "end grain" which is great for weed pots and other such vessels that can be "hollowed" with a drill bit. Hollowing this material "normally" is a tough proposition in this orientation. You should also try it in "faceplate" orientation for a bowl type object. Each way will have a different effect. Plan on sharpening a lot more than normal and if you have a side-grind gouge, your final cuts should be a shear cut. You CANNOT use scrapers on this stuff...you have to cut with a very sharp edge to minimize tearout. Even then, you will have some voids. I would also recommend you make decorative pieces with this man-made material due to it's propensity to chip/splinter, the presence of voids and "who knows" what kind of glue.

Chris Padilla
04-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Too cool...glad to see you have a lot of fun with your ww'ing! After all, that is what it's all about. :D