PDA

View Full Version : Portland Oregon

Craig D Peltier
06-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Anything I should see there? Im going for the 4th of July. I know theres that giant bookstore. I also have timed it to go for a 4 day blues festival along the river there.

Doug Jones from Oregon
06-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Gilmer Wood http://www.gilmerwood.com/

Largest collection of exotic hardwoods that I've every seen under one roof. Be ready to be amazed at the different woods.

Doug

Joe Pelonio
06-29-2008, 1:54 PM
VooDoo Donuts, downtown, not far from Powell Books.

If someone with you quilts or sews, go to Fabric Depot, my wife will go down there just for that. I do stained glass and always stop at Cline Glass on Stark St.

I second Gilmer and also add Woodcraft on SW Main, always seems better than the one in Seattle.

glenn bradley
06-29-2008, 3:21 PM
I can't recall the expact location, a public square where people's names are in the bricks on the ground. You stand in a specific spot and talk; the partial wall around you is designed to bounce your voice back at you and makes it sound amplified, but only to you. Quite an odd sensation. Near the university(?).

Phillip Bogle
06-29-2008, 9:50 PM
Gilmer Wood http://www.gilmerwood.com/

Largest collection of exotic hardwoods that I've every seen under one roof. Be ready to be amazed at the different woods.

Doug

I live in Nehalem just south of Cannon Beach. I have lived in Oregon all of my 58 years and did not know of this company. Thanks! I now have a new place to send my pension!:D

Rod Torgeson
06-30-2008, 9:28 AM
Craig.....There is The Tool Peddler on 82nd and Crosscut Hardwoods on Front ave. As mentioned, it is worth the trip to Gilmer's. There is another stained glass place closer to downtown on the east side of the river. The address is probably in the phone book. There is Rockler in Beaverton. Enjoy your trip.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Nancy Laird
06-30-2008, 9:29 AM
Not woodworking related, but the Rose Garden is beautiful this time of year.

Doug Jones from Oregon
06-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Rod, sorry to say, Tool Peddler has retired and closed the shop. Had big sales for several weeks but is all done now.

Brian Brown
06-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Also not woodworking related, but the Japanese garden is always a top priority for LOML and me when we go to Portland. It's very close to the rose garden. Want to go tp Gilmer, but have never been.

Rod Torgeson
06-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Oh no, The Tool Peddler has closed shop. Guess I don't get to Portland as often as I should. I could have spent some serious money there during the sale. That was always a place to stop whether I needed anything or not.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA