PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Luan Mahogany

Phillip Bogle
06-29-2008, 12:31 AM
I tried a relief carving on Luan Mahogany. Has any one had success with this wood? I had trouble galore, but this is my second carving so I may be inexperienced or asking for trouble. Not sure which. The grain kept shredding in "hairy" type finish. I would sharpen the chisel and cut end grain pine with a slick cut. Next I would cut the Luan and ...Yuk! Is it just me?

Robert Rozaieski
06-29-2008, 9:24 AM
I don't think it's you. I had a piece of African mahogany that was very similar. I later read that this type of mahogany is not a very good carving wood. For carving, Honduran mahogany is the mahogany of choice. I'd say try a different piece of wood and see if you have the same problem, that should tell you if it's you or the wood. I suspect it's the wood. By the way, I believe luan is Phillipine mahogany.

randall rosenthal
06-29-2008, 10:02 AM
luan is not really mahogany at all. its a marketing ploy. real mahogany is an excellent carving choice and has been used successfully for centuries. i used it exclusively for over a decade.

Phillip Bogle
06-29-2008, 2:28 PM
luan is not really mahogany at all. its a marketing ploy. real mahogany is an excellent carving choice and has been used successfully for centuries. i used it exclusively for over a decade.

How can I tell the difference? This was supposed to mahogany that was used for flooring. I am pack rat and see the possibilities in every chunk :) so I saved the trim off that were 6/4 8"X 12". They made beautiful jewelry boxes and ..... but when I started to carve --! The wood was terrible to hand plane and the joiner hated it, but sanded and stained nice. The color and tone of the finished wood looked very similar to some of the Arts & Crafts era wood work. Almost the same color as Mission furniture. I had some so so results with some oak flooring trim off as well. Is there a trend here? Stop salvaging stuff and buy the good pieces?

My Motto: There are no scraps -- only smaller projects.

randall rosenthal
06-29-2008, 7:21 PM
if you get a block of each the grain difference will be apparent. luan is fine for things like window trim but not much fun to carve (ive tried).real mahogany however can me cut in any direction .

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n186/randallro/amboweb.jpg

Phillip Bogle
06-29-2008, 9:37 PM
Is that a full sized pulpit? That is nothing short of !!!!!
You must hear -- "I wish I could do that" quite frequently.
Well you just heard it one more time.
I am going to print the photo for my wife to look at.

BTW, I have been a pastor for the better part of the last 17 years, and I would have loved to have one. My congregation would have stolen it though. Ten years in social service ministry with The Salvation Army and 7 with an Inter Faith denomination.

randall rosenthal
06-30-2008, 9:24 AM
phillip......its a real pulpit, an "ambo", its in st. james cathedral in seattle washington. except for the bible rest and top and bottom boards it is carved from one glued up block of honduran mahogany. there are better photos of it on the web site. thanks.