PDA

View Full Version : Upright plywood storage pics anyone

Craig D Peltier
06-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Im looking to build in a space of about 60 deep by 48 wide by 102 tall a storage area for my sheets. Im dont have any design yet.
Anyone have pics of theres?
I was thinking something like fastening 2x4s to ceiling. Then making a raised floor (2 inch or less)to keep moisture out. Im not sure of the rest as far as making arms that stick out far enough an how thye wont want to sway left and right with sheets leaning against them.
Should I approach it different and build it as a stand alone out of sheets an bolt it to the floor an ceiling?

I was thinking of something like this. Maybe a rolling cart in the front for cut offs. I need to store about 20-25 sheets and numerous cut offs.91541

Craig D Peltier
06-29-2008, 12:20 AM
I found this pic online from another forum.Maybe I could attach a 2x4 to back wall upright and some how get steel tubes into them thats strong enough to hold 10 sheets against it.

Rob Will
06-29-2008, 8:42 AM
A contractor friend of mine has a very nice wood storage area. It looks something like the picture you posted above. No need for any steel reinforcement, just build an open front cabinet on a platform. The top of the cabinet gives you all the strength you need.

It is about 3 feet deep and sits somewhere between 2 and 4 inches off of the floor. One of the best features is that you can tilt a sheet of plywood toward you to remove it. If you have the headroom, build your rack extra tall - something like 9' plus the base height.

I would definitely recommend against building the storage rack a full 4 feet deep.

Also, I would divide your space up into thirds. One third for full 4x8 sheets and large cut offs, one third for half sheets and smaller cut offs, and the remainder split up into smaller cubby holes - possibly with a couple of shelves that can be moved.

The area for half-sheets would probably need to be about 5 feet tall (?)

Rob

Lee Koepke
06-29-2008, 8:46 AM
i built a rolling cart, but it only easily holds about 6 sheets. the weight limits mobility if you get much more.

i also have horizontal plywood storage that i dont have any good pictures of. It sounds like you have alot of room to work with, If I had that amount of room, there was an issue of Shop Notes I think that had a 3/4" pipe running on top with some 18" lengths of 1" pipe threaded into a T that slid along the top pipe that allowed for seperation of sheets.

Rick Levine
06-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Here is a smaller version of Craig's storage I built. It is fashioned after the one on NYW.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/ricklevine/1.jpg

As a side note, I no longer have the Dewalt planer. It was replaced by a Steel City 15" model.

Narayan Nayar
06-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I made this a while back and still love it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=79838

Steve Clardy
06-29-2008, 12:41 PM
2x4 construction.

Raised ply floor.

Ben Grunow
06-29-2008, 8:31 PM
I used to store my sheet stock vertically but found that the sheets developed a cup if not held flat so keep that in mind. No pics of my storage yet.

Todd Bin
06-29-2008, 9:51 PM
If you are going to store it vertically I would somehow wedge the ply against the verticle was so that it will not cup over time. The woodwhisperer guy put three big threaded screws through the side with haand cranks so he can push all of the ply perfectly vertical. I think he talks about it in one of his videos.

Greg Hines, MD
06-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Here are some photos of my lumber rack. It is 8' long, 5' high, and can hold about 10 4x8" sheets, though I have never had that many in it. Both sides can have arms for shorter pieces, but I left them off of the one side. It is on wheels, though I rarely move it, it has come in handy for times when I need to clean out the garage.

Doc

Tom Clark FL
06-30-2008, 6:31 AM
Craig,

I built this simple rack over 20 years ago, and it is still doing the job. Bottom is built out of ripped ply scraps, with a 1/2" cdx top. Second layer was added after too much was accumulating on the top. It is supported by 2/4s that go to the floor to support the top rack without adding more weight to the original.

brett gallmeyer
07-01-2008, 1:42 AM
Here is two picks of my upright plywood storage. I have a storage rack i built that is about 2'x4'x8'. I sat it with the depth against the wall and use the space between that and my other wall to stand sheets up. both full and partial. I laid down some melamine particleboard on the floor so that they would slide easily, not get banged up moving on concrete and it also lifts them up so I can get under them to pick them up after I slide each sheet out.
Brett G.