PDA

View Full Version : Fitting 1/4" splines ala Todd Burch method.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-18-2004, 9:32 PM
Todd has suggested attaching a table top solid wood surround with 1/4" splines. The problem is my slot cutter IS 1/4" but my plywood is a hair thicker. What would you do? Take two passes with the slot cutter and make the slot a little wider? Or use solid wood splines that I could plane exactly 1/4" ? I realize the grain orientation problem with the solid wood. What would you do? Thanks Alan

John Miliunas
04-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Just MHO, Alan, but I'd stick with the 1/4" and mill up some Maple splines to fit. I say this because, as I see it, doing it the other way might introduce two additional variables: 1) Unless you can keep absolute constant pressure on the slot, portions of it might not come up to the width you need. With a single pass, that variable is eliminated. 2) Absolute thickness in a sheet of ply, may vary slightly across the whole thing. That's just the nature of the beast. Hence, it's my opinion that, you'd be better off with more consistent results going with the Maple. Leastwise, that's what I've done on several occassions with nice results, though for similar situations, I usually "cheat" and use a biscuit joiner. :cool:

Alan Tolchinsky
04-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks John. That makes a lot of sense as I was wondering about all the multiple passes with the slot cutter and keeping everything right. It seems like a lot of variables being thrown in there. But if I keep to 1/4" for slot and spline as you suggest it seems a lot simpler. I was just wondering because I think Todd mentioned using ply. Alan

Todd Burch
04-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Alan, I make life easy on myself. If the ply I have at the time doesn't fit, I find ply that does! 1/4" BC pine ply seems to fit nice. Don't use any of the 5mm stuff - it's too thin, and hence you won't get good alignment. I've used hardboard too. This week, I'll be using 1/4" OSB chipboard that was used for the crating for that bubinga that was shipped to me in January. :)

Basically, I use whatever fits the slot good. Not so tight that I have a hard time inserting it with glue on it (thus a tad swollen), but definitely not loose. It should fit snug enough that you might have to bang it on with the heel of your hand when wet with glue. Also, don't make the spline over 7/8" wide so hydraulic glue pressure keeps it from mating tight.

I have had to handplane or belt sand a spline to get it to fit. However, this little bit of extra work, in my opinion, is the only way to go, especially if you are working with thin veneers.

I hope it works for you too.

Todd Burch
04-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Alan, another quick tip: I have run plywood (and MDF) through the planer before. The planer doesn't know the difference!

Alan Tolchinsky
04-18-2004, 11:48 PM
Thanks Todd, I'll try what you suggest. I like the spline idea because even though I use biscuits, they can be a pain especially if you have a lot of them. On a 4' table top that's a lot of biscuits to get just right and this seems like just the application for a long spline. I think your spline method is going to work great once I get it tweaked. Thanks for all the help. Alan in Md.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-19-2004, 3:24 PM
Hi All, I used Todd's method with splines to glue a solid wood border around a table top I'm making. Thanks Todd and all else who helped. It went really well after I planed the 1/4" ply down a bit. But I'm using mitered corners and they were hard to fit perfectly. I was happy with the miters in the end but was wondering if there is an easier joint for the corners? In your opinion does a butt joint look bad for this? Any other ideas? I'm going to rout some kind of edge treatment on this in the end. Thanks Alan

Chris Padilla
04-19-2004, 3:34 PM
Any pics, Alan? We like pics! :)

Alan Tolchinsky
04-19-2004, 5:15 PM
Thanks Chris, here's a pic after scraping only. Alan

Alan Tolchinsky
04-19-2004, 5:24 PM
One more pic

Chris Padilla
04-19-2004, 7:50 PM
That looks nice, Alan. That looks like some maple hardwood and what ply are you using...I forget.

Robert Ducharme
04-19-2004, 8:47 PM
Thats neat - question, how did you get it on the wall like that :confused: :D :D

Alan Tolchinsky
04-19-2004, 11:13 PM
That looks nice, Alan. That looks like some maple hardwood and what ply are you using...I forget.
Thanks Chris. That's some birdseye maple with too few eyes. :) I just used some 1/4" ply I had but had to plane it down slightly(Todd tip) to make it fit the 1/4" groove. I think on a table of this size the spline was easier to use than doing a lot of biscuits. Alan

Alan Tolchinsky
04-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Thats neat - question, how did you get it on the wall like that :confused: :D :D
Hey Robert, I just used some super glue. :) NOw that I look at the pic,it makes me dizzy. Alan

Bob Johnson
04-20-2004, 2:01 AM
Where do you guys find quarter inch plywood that's so thick you have to plane it down to fit in a quarter inch slot?

I haven't seen full quarter inch ply in years (if ever). It seems like a 7/32 router bit is currently the right size in most cases.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-20-2004, 2:57 PM
Bob, Maybe the reason for the 1/4" plus is that this is old pylwood I had laying around. I don't know how old it is but I've had it for awhile. Alan

Lynn Sonier
04-20-2004, 3:19 PM
I've noticed that some 3/4 oak ply I purchased recently is actually 3/4. Don't know what causes the difference - could be the manufacturer.
Nice work, Todd!