PDA

View Full Version : New Yankee Workshop....?

Jim Heffner
06-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Did anyone else here, see the New Yankee Workshop episode today 6/28
where Nam was building some new kitchen cabinets? I saw something that made me do a double take....he was building some drawers, and he explained about using a dovetail jig to make the joints for attaching drawer fronts to the sides. His next "clip" was telling about cutting a groove down the long sides of the drawers about 3/8" up from the bottom
for the bottom panel to slide into. I would swear that clip showed one of those drawer sides had that groove cut into the inside and outside
faces of the same board....but a couple of seconds later that same board
was replaced with another board with the groove on only one side....?

What gives here...do these show personnel think that viewers are blind and don't see their mistakes on camera ? Duh...not! I was wondering if
anyone else see's these kind of mistakes like I do? I watch for the pro's to mess up on camera....same as me, then I don't feel too bad when I mess up a good piece of wood for a project. Jim Heffner

Dave Lehnert
06-28-2008, 10:21 PM
A number of years ago he built a drop leaf table. The part that he cut to support the leaf I know he cut wrong. It was backwards. I would like to see it again to be 100% sure.
You know mistakes are made. We all do it. Some more that others. He has the advantage of building one first to work out the details then build a second for the show to get it right.

http://www.newyankee.com/photos1/103.jpg

John Keeton
06-29-2008, 6:50 AM
This is a sign that you guys have all the tools and shop you ever want! I am so distracted by all the freebies Norm has, the shop, the layout, etc., etc., that I rarely notice the mistakes he makes!

I don't do woodworking for a living. But, if I did, on a percentage basis, I am sure I would make fewer mistakes - but, I would still make mistakes.

Watching the "outtakes" from NYW would be interesting. The camera guy and whoever else is there has to be distracting - not to mention the need to continuously be aware of "the audience." Dare say, if I did work in my shop with those 2 factors, my scrap pile would be much bigger.

Peter Quinn
06-29-2008, 7:08 AM
I'm so distracted by the fact that Norm is human I'm rarely shocked when he makes a mistake. Why so critical? Is it not more valuable to focus on the lessons a teacher offers than to look for his weaknesses obsessively?

I try never to loose sight of the fact also that when a camera crew is filming, time is money, and most wood working programs, especially those on public television, are financed on a relative shoestring. They opt not to edit every minor mistake as it becomes costly.

Have you ever tried to do a job you were very good at with a camera in your face and high powered lights in your eyes? Changes your focus considerably.

Paul Greathouse
06-29-2008, 7:29 AM
Jim

Good ole Nam makes mistakes just like everyone else. I don't think I could enjoy the show if he showed every mistake he made. I try to overlook the little things/mistakes as long as someone is trying to do the right thing.

Heck, you didn't even spell drawers correctly. In Nam language it would be Draws or would that be Draas.

Clifford Mescher
06-29-2008, 9:16 AM
I'm so distracted by the fact that Norm is human I'm rarely shocked when he makes a mistake. Why so critical? Is it not more valuable to focus on the lessons a teacher offers than to look for his weaknesses obsessively?

I try never to loose sight of the fact also that when a camera crew is filming, time is money, and most wood working programs, especially those on public television, are financed on a relative shoestring. They opt not to edit every minor mistake as it becomes costly.

Have you ever tried to do a job you were very good at with a camera in your face and high powered lights in your eyes? Changes your focus considerably.
Thank you for your answer. Blood pressure back to normal. Clifford

Don Bullock
06-29-2008, 9:19 AM
You'd be amazed in all the "mistakes" like that in TV shows and movies. At Universal Studios in California they used to have a presentation showing some of them. The one I remember showed a knife that suddenly moved from one side of a table to another. I remember taping a show and in the final edit a cast member suddenly switched from carrying a blue balloon to carrying a red one. That one made it on TV. Producers actually have people who watch footage for things like that. Often a scene has to be filmed all over again when a mistake is found. It's amazing how much something so small can cost to retake especially if it was found after the crew and cast have moved on to a different location or scene. Today, the use of video tape and digital recorders helps the production team catch mistakes sooner than they could with film.

Jim Heffner
06-29-2008, 3:57 PM
It is good to see that others here find some of those mistakes as well. I see them all the time on other shows and comment about them to my wife and we both get a good laugh about that. These show producers
think that the viewing public won't pay it any attention or will soon forget
it if they do see it and carry on as if nothing ever happened.

Their slang terms are something else on those shows for sure.....
like: Nam for Norm, draws for drawers,and others but I can't think of them right now...oh well...enough for now. Jim Heffner

Joe McMahon
06-29-2008, 4:33 PM
I'm 61. As a young boy, I lived in Chicago. One of the best things to do was to sit on my Dad's lap and watch TV with him. One of our favorite shows was "Walt's Workshop". It featured a guy doing various woodworking. In those days, TV was black & white, locally produced and live. At that time, gentlemen wore long sleeved shirts, ties and coats to work no matter what type of work they did. Each week, Walt would walk on to the set, remove his coat and explain what that week's project would be.

I will never forget the time Walt was demonstrating turning. He put the stock on the lathe, turned it on and started turning. As he worked, Walt always mentioned shop safety. When he finished carving the piece, he started sanding it. For some reason, Walt reached over the turning piece to look at something. His tie got caught on the lathe and almost choked him to death!

As he gasped for air he wheezed "See, didn't I tell you to be careful!" Both Dad & I needed to change our skivvies after watching that one.:D

David DeCristoforo
06-29-2008, 7:14 PM
Ever see "The Woodwright's Shop" with Roy Underhill? Now that's a guy who has no problem with anyone seeing how imperfect he is. Sometimes he cracks me up when he does something like mis-striking a chisel and either the chisel or the wood goes flying or he whacks his finger and drops the mallet or whatever. Then he just grins and says something like "Oops, well it's not supposed to happen exactly like that....". The whole thing is very refreshing and the guy has a really philosophical attitude about everything which I find much more honest and entertaining than trying to "hide" mistakes because you are supposed to be perfect.

John Keeton
06-29-2008, 7:16 PM
David, I like Roy as well - just wish I had his energy level!! The guy is in a constant hurry. He is WYSIWYG for sure!

Heather Thompson
06-29-2008, 9:19 PM
I'm 61. As a young boy, I lived in Chicago. One of the best things to do was to sit on my Dad's lap and watch TV with him. One of our favorite shows was "Walt's Workshop". It featured a guy doing various woodworking. In those days, TV was black & white, locally produced and live. At that time, gentlemen wore long sleeved shirts, ties and coats to work no matter what type of work they did. Each week, Walt would walk on to the set, remove his coat and explain what that week's project would be.

I will never forget the time Walt was demonstrating turning. He put the stock on the lathe, turned it on and started turning. As he worked, Walt always mentioned shop safety. When he finished carving the piece, he started sanding it. For some reason, Walt reached over the turning piece to look at something. His tie got caught on the lathe and almost choked him to death!

As he gasped for air he wheezed "See, didn't I tell you to be careful!" Both Dad & I needed to change our skivvies after watching that one.:D

Joe,

I laughed so hard at your post, not really funny but such a great reality check. Some of my favorite memories were sitting in my dads lap as he read to me, Black Beauty, Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer, Sunday funnies, it makes me warm with memories. Thank you!

Heather

Travis Rassat
06-29-2008, 10:14 PM
I was watching New Yankee Workshop earlier today, and was thinking that I'd love to see an "outtakes" episode. I think that would be fun.

Like someone said earlier, we all make mistakes. The smart folks learn from 'em.

Harley Reasons
06-29-2008, 10:49 PM
To get an idea of what goes on during the day of filming, go to the Nam-Cam (http://www.newyankee.com/slideshow.php?this=7&show=20070504)

Curt Harms
06-30-2008, 11:03 AM
It's Nahm, soft 'h'. You New Englanders, am I correct?:p

Curt

Greg Hines, MD
06-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Good luck on finding the outtakes. From several interviews that I have read, as well as his books, there won't be many. Since he builds the prototypes before the cameras are turned on, he generally has most of the kinks worked out long before the crew is there to put it on film.

Doc

Joe Spear
06-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Their slang terms are something else on those shows for sure.....
like: Nam for Norm, draws for drawers,and others but I can't think of them right now...oh well...enough for now. Jim Heffner[/QUOTE]

That's not slang. That's just the local pronunciation of a lot (but not all) of people who live around here. As an English teacher raised northeastern Ohio, who has lived in Philadelphia and India and been to many other English-speaking countries (and parts of this country), I find the local dialects endearing--when I can understand them.

Wayne Ashing
07-01-2008, 3:15 AM
According to his producer, Russell Morrash? there are not enough bloopers to fill 25min a show out of the 19-20 years of filming. He would probably make it if he thought he could sell it,

Greg Narozniak
07-01-2008, 9:58 AM
There was actually a letter sent into the NYW asking for a Blooper show and the response was (I swear it was posted there and might still be, just too lazy to go and look)

"Norm never makes mistakes"

I say Horse Feathers! Everyone does.

The only one I remember them airing was when he was bending some stock around the base of a project and it split.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-01-2008, 10:35 AM
When ever these type of threads get started they always cause the same emotions in me:

1. I chuckle

2. I get irritated.

I started working on oil rigs at age 15. Rough necked 11-7 and went to HS days. I've worked in Army ammunition plants, upholstered furniture factories, glass factories, steel mill, on US Navy ships, in USN/FAA air traffic control centers, on MR scanners, CT scanners, x-ray equipment, nuclear medicine cameras, ultrasound machines, automobile engines, transmissions, automobile rear ends, with horses, mules, cattle, sheep, on farms and yes, even a little woodworking
ONLY one thing holds true: The only person who doesn't make mistakes isn't doing anything.

Because of his greater exposure to the general public via PBS, Norm Abrahms has done more to expose and encourage people to do woodworking than any other single individual alive today. He's not a David Marks.....he doesn't try to be. He's "Norm". Did Norm make a mistake. Maybe but SO WHAT? It wouldn't surprise me and it would just be in character for the humble guy who went from teaching us general carpentry to making furniture.

I have never met Norm or David Marks but I'd bet a cold brew that if you talked with either one of them they'd tell you that 1) they don't compare themselves to each other and 2) you'd find they are comfortable enough within in themselves and their abilities they only compare themselves to themselves and just try to improve their skills as they go from project to project.

JMHO.

John Keeton
07-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Count me in Ken's camp!! Just relax guys and enjoy the show for what it is - and the objective is not to make sure Norm is human. That's a given!

Cody Colston
07-01-2008, 2:03 PM
I started working on oil rigs at age 15. Rough necked 11-7 and went to HS days.

You worked morning tour on a drilling rig and THEN went to school all day!? :eek:

THAT is being a man's man!

As for Norm, he is what he is. Most people either love his show or for some reason I can't fathom, hate it and only look for fault.

Personally, I like watching him. I like his manner and even most of the projects he builds. Hey, if you don't like using brad nails, use clamps! Long live NYW. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-01-2008, 3:15 PM
You worked morning tour on a drilling rig and THEN went to school all day!? :eek:

THAT is being a man's man!
:D

Cody,

Couldn't have been too tough. I survived it and so did my little brother. I was 14 the first time my driller father drove to town and pulled me out of bed to fill in for a floor hand who showed up drunk. At 15 I was roughnecking morning tower and going to HS. My HS principal, F.C.Smith knew what I was doing and placed me in 8th hour PE. Instead of playing sports as all other 8th hour PE students did, I went home and got an extra 45 minutes of sleep. Floyd felt I was getting enough of a physical workout!

Cody Colston
07-01-2008, 3:29 PM
It's amazing how the young body can recover. But, no matter how young and tough, pulling slips all night at 15,000 feet and then going to school all day is a pretty rough way to make a living. :)

Rob Bodenschatz
07-01-2008, 4:06 PM
Put me in the "Who cares?" camp.