PDA

View Full Version : Honey Locust Bowl

Mike Vickery
06-28-2008, 8:59 PM
This is a 10 x 3 inch bowl made out of Honey Locust. The tree was from a local arboreum that contacted our turning club. I did not go to cut up the tree, but a couple of my buddies that did were nice enough to give me a couple hunks.

Thanks guys.
http://www.distinctiveturnings.com/mikevickery/images/stories/easygallery/19/1214704760_honeylocust.jpg

Comments and critiques are always appreciated.

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2008, 9:07 PM
Yup! That's definately your bowl! Love the form, the slanted rim and the wood! Great finish - great photo - Hope to see you posting some more of your bowls real soon cause they are always outstanding!

Bernie Weishapl
06-28-2008, 9:24 PM
Beautiful bowl Mike. I really like the wood and form.

Clara Koss
06-28-2008, 11:16 PM
i love the lip on the bowl....great color...post some more!!!!;)

Curt Fuller
06-29-2008, 9:59 AM
Mike, that's another beautiful bowl. You've developed a style in your bowls that makes them recognizable as a Vickery style bowl. I really like the way the foot elevates this one and the sharp edges. That's some very nice wood too.

Ben Gastfriend
06-29-2008, 7:27 PM
I have to agree with Steve. Show us more, this one is definitley a winner!

Mike Vickery
07-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words. I have not been holding back on you, just have not been turning much lately. Hopefully I will get back in the groove once the summer heat passes a little.

robert hainstock
07-01-2008, 11:21 AM
I do not ordinarily like "big" feet on bowls, but this one works well with the style, and wood used. Great job! :D:D
Bob

Scott Lux
07-01-2008, 4:45 PM
Nice bowl! I'm kind of with Bob on this, I'm not a fan of big feet (have my own pair of those ;)) but this is good. I think the foot could be smaller, or even eliminated and you'd still have a great bowl. But that's just my opinion. I love the lip style.

Honeylocust grows locally, almost virulently, so I've turned a bit of it.
Did you notice any reaction to the dust or any smell from it? I think it smells like allspice or nutmeg, but very pleasant. On the other hand I feel like I have a cold for a couple days after.

Lux

Mike Vickery
07-01-2008, 6:04 PM
Thanks guys.

Scott - In the past I often put a very small foot on my bowls. I have been going for a more "rugged" look on my bowls lately with a wider rim and a bigger foot. I drop the wall thickness down quite a bit after the rim so that they are not to heavy.

I guess my point is I am always playing with subtle differences in design. If I had to do this piecec again I would probably make the foot a little shorter on this one, but I am actually happy with the width of the foot.

(if you want an idea of my other work)
http://www.distinctiveturnings.com/mikevickery/index.php?option=com_easygallery&Itemid=40

I did not have a reaction to the dust. This is the first time I have turned Honey Locust since you do not see it much in my area. I cannot remember if their was a smell associated with it. I actually finsihed turning this over a month ago and have just been slowly finishing it since then.

George Conklin
07-01-2008, 7:19 PM
If I had to do this piecec again I would probably make the foot a little shorter on this one, but I am actually happy with the width of the foot.

Personally,,, I wouldn't change a thing. I think the piece is well proportioned.

Nicely done.

Scott Lux
07-02-2008, 10:40 AM
I drop the wall thickness down quite a bit after the rim so that they are not to heavy.

Forgive the noob question, but does that cause problems when the wood decides to move later?

Mike Vickery
07-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Forgive the noob question, but does that cause problems when the wood decides to move later?

I don't think it will be a problem but with wood you never know.

I have quite a stock of roughes out bowls so I have the luxury of giving the bowls plenty of time to dry. It is possible it might cause problems if it went to a more humid state, but I doubt it.

Scott Lux
07-02-2008, 4:31 PM
Hadn't realized you are in AZ. No humidity troubles there.

Joseph Peacock
07-03-2008, 11:21 AM
That is a good bowl.:D