PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Press

Rick Beko
06-28-2008, 6:04 PM
I am just wondering what folks are using for an electric pump vacuum press. I know it will depend on what you need it for but I am just curious as to your setup. How many CFM is your pump rated for? Is your setup continuous run or does it cycle? knowing what you know what would you do differently. I am considering a 4-5CFM motor and a cycling setup but I wondering if that is necessary??

Frank Drew
06-28-2008, 6:44 PM
I bought a used, laboratory grade pump and I don't know its CFM rating, but if the gauge was correct it pulled 29+ mm-Hg.

Mike Henderson
06-28-2008, 6:48 PM
I think my set up is a 3CFM - I got the pump from Joe Woodworker.

If you have a good bag - one that doesn't leak - then the CFM mainly affects how quickly it pulls the bag down (gets all the air out). This is especially noticable when you're doing non-flat things. You can run the pump continuously if you want, or you can add the stuff to allow it to shut off when the vacuum is pulled. If you're working in the shop while using the vacuum set up, it's nice to have it turn off just because of the noise.

If you can get a 5CFM pump at a good price, I'd buy it. But check out Joe Woodworker and see what he has and the prices before you make a decision.

Mike

Rick Beko
06-28-2008, 7:45 PM
I have gone through Joe's site. Did you go with a continuous run system or does it cycle?

Mike Henderson
06-28-2008, 8:25 PM
I have gone through Joe's site. Did you go with a continuous run system or does it cycle?
I went with a system that cycles. I also use it on my lathe for vacuum chucking - but I run it continuously for that application.

Mike

Robin Cruz
06-28-2008, 8:35 PM
Ive seen one used to press veneer......but would a vacuum press be enough to do bent lams say of 1/4" x 4" x 20 stacked 4 deep? Ive heard 1500lbs/sq ft....it sounds like not very much compared to what a c clamp can do.

Mike Henderson
06-28-2008, 8:41 PM
Ive seen one used to press veneer......but would a vacuum press be enough to do bent lams say of 1/4" x 4" x 20 stacked 4 deep? I've heard 1500lbs/sq ft....it sounds like not very much compared to what a c clamp can do.
I'd use clamps on that - not a vacuum bag. If the lams are already bent and all you're doing is gluing several together, you can get special "tube" bags that will do that. But I wouldn't try to bend them with a vacuum bag - especially 1/4" lams.

Mike

Cary Swoveland
06-29-2008, 2:22 AM
Rick,

If you get a vacuum pump for a veneer press, you'll soon see how easy and convenient it is to use the pump for hold-down clamping, and if you're a turner, you'll want to use it for a vacuum chuck. Then you may conclude that it would be handy to be able to use it for two things at once, such as with two vacuum bags, or a vacuum bag an a hold-down clamp. With that in mind, I suggest you build a system with storage, and plumb it for two vacuum take-offs. If you use it for vacuum chucking on the lathe, and use a pump (rather than a venturi system), you'll want to add a switch to be able to run it continuously, as Mike pointed out. (If you use a venturi system, as I do, that's not a problem.)

Also, the quick-release fittings that Joe sells are very convenient. I have the clamp half at both ends of each of two hoses.

Cary

Jim Becker
06-29-2008, 9:24 PM
I use the same Gast 0523 pump that I use for vaccum chucking on my lathe. I just got an extended hose from Joe Woodworker that allows for a comfortable reach to my bench.

Mitchell Andrus
06-29-2008, 9:41 PM
I use a Gast pump that I dumpster dove about 20 years ago and built a Joe Woodworker setup to handle it. About an afternoon's worth of work, but it's so nice to have it shut off.