PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Box - Big

Mike Peace
06-28-2008, 3:04 PM
My local woodworking group wanted a box to start collecting a $1 meeting donation and I was drafted to make it. Since I mostly do round I decided to just make a turned lidded box. The box is made from sweet gum from a tree from one of the members. It was rough turned and dried for six months before I finish turned it. The top is made from glued up 8/4 cherry board cutoffs. It is 10 1/2" wide and 5 1/2' tall.

It is finished in Danish oil but I was thinking of putting on wipe on poly to be more durable since it will get a lot of handling. Any potential problems with wipe on poly over DO?

Steve Schlumpf
06-28-2008, 3:11 PM
Nice work Mike! I like the size on this one! Nice form and detail work! No problem putting Poly over Danish Oil as long as the oil has had long enough to dry. I usually wait for about a week before applying the poly but that depends on temp and humidity. Simple rule of thumb for me - if there is a strong smell of the Danish Oil - wait.

robert hainstock
06-28-2008, 4:11 PM
I would use poly over any oil as long as it had time to set up, (dry).
Nice box by the way. :):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
06-28-2008, 4:24 PM
Great looking box Mike. I agree with the others. Like Steve I smell it and if it has a strong odor I let it dry longer.

Clara Koss
06-29-2008, 12:03 AM
the box is so nice someone will make off with the box and leave the dough!!!!!;)