PDA

View Full Version : Gluing leather to wood

Brian Hale
06-28-2008, 12:17 PM
My favorite rum comes packaged in a nice leather sack and now that i've got several sacks lying 'round (just can't bring myself to toss them :rolleyes: ) i thought it would be a good idea to glue some pieces to some wood scraps for sanding blocks.

I've got some double sided tape, epoxy, spray adhesive and of course TBII.

Suggestions?

TIA

Brian :)

Matt Ocel
06-28-2008, 12:29 PM
3M spray adhesive.

Scott Velie
06-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Barge cement is what I use. It is a very strong contact adhesive.
It is available in tubes from Tandy Leather.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?dept=178

David DeCristoforo
06-28-2008, 1:08 PM
There's "Barge" which is absolutely the best glue for leather. Works like contact cement. If you don't want to use that, I would suggest Barge. Then there's Barge. Oh and there's that glue Scott linked to called "Barge" which should also be available locally at any shoe store or shoe repair shop.

Brian Hale
06-28-2008, 7:44 PM
So what about Barge? Is it any good??? :rolleyes:

I'll try the spray adhesive and see how it holds up before spend any money but i'll save the link for future reference.

Thanks!

Brian :)

Randy Hock
06-28-2008, 9:16 PM
I have found 3M spray adhesive to be wonderful stuff. I made some jigs and fixtures and wanted to protect the mahogany I was working on from getting dinged. So, I cut some leather strips and glued them on in no time with the 3M spray, worked great.

David DeCristoforo
06-28-2008, 10:55 PM
"...the 3M spray worked great..."

Only thing wrong with it is that it's not Barge....

Don Eddard
06-28-2008, 11:59 PM
There's "Barge" which is absolutely the best glue for leather. Works like contact cement. If you don't want to use that, I would suggest Barge. Then there's Barge. Oh and there's that glue Scott linked to called "Barge" which should also be available locally at any shoe store or shoe repair shop.
I'm surprised you didn't mention Barge. :D

Jack Briggs
06-29-2008, 7:49 AM
Hot hide glue.

Rich Engelhardt
06-29-2008, 8:18 AM
Hello,
Last time I glued leather,,,was,,geeze,,30 years ago?
I used rubber cement - the stuff in the little bottle with the sqeegee thingie on it.
Got it at Tandy.
Not sure of what the brand name was, but looking at the packaging of Barge, I doubt if that's what it was.

I tossed the leather boots I used it on ~ 10 years ago, but it was still going strong @ the time.