PDA

View Full Version : Rockler's #1 Router Table Package - good idea or not?

Rich Engelhardt
06-28-2008, 5:32 AM
Hello,
I'm starting to assemble the pieces parts for my router table.
I'm going to mount my Freud FT1700VCEK in it.
While looking for plates for the 1700, I ran across the Rockler #1 package for $159.99.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=894

I'm thinking that this would be the better way to go than buying all the individual pieces - plate, template for the plate, material for the top, fence, t-track, etc.

Anyone had any experience with the #1 or opinions on doing it this way?

Chris Kennedy
06-28-2008, 5:53 AM
Rich,

I have the Rockler #1 package and think it is great. Of course, it doesn't come with legs, but for me that is an advantage. I don't have a lot of space in my shop, so I clamp it to my Workmate when I need it. With the jaws open, the router fits in between when you drop it in.

I looked at a couple of options, and pretty much reached the same decision as you. For the parts and features I wanted, when I started looking at the time and expense of making my own, I opted for the Rockler. I don't get much time in the shop as it is -- I would rather spend it making something rather than building a router table.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Chris

Rich Engelhardt
06-28-2008, 6:06 AM
Hi Chris,
Thanks - that's exactly my position - not enough time.

Tony Cox
06-28-2008, 6:28 AM
I received that same table as a Christmas present from my wife. I picked it out of course. :D

So far it has worked out really well for me. I am getting ready to build a cabinet to mount it to, but for right now I made a stand out of 2x4s and have been using it that way.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong. It saves time and is a decent product.

Have a safe one,
Tony

Prashun Patel
06-28-2008, 7:46 AM
It's a great basic table and fence.
I'd also get the 4-piece accessory set that gives you the vac port, and 3 featherboards.

I find it to be very stable, and the fence is easy to adjust, split, and shim.

Bob Noles
06-28-2008, 7:47 AM
I bought one a few years ago and built a complete Norm cabinet system around it. I was very happy with it and it performed very well. A good value for the money in my book.

Robin Cruz
06-28-2008, 5:06 PM
Mine has been fantastic. I have had it for a few years now..maybe 3 or 5 years. I only paid $59 for it though when it was on sale. Its great having the dust collector hood. I mounted to my table saw using 2x4s and made a cabinet underneath to store and to catch the dust the goes that way.