PDA

View Full Version : Software worth twice the price...(long)

Curt Harms
04-18-2004, 5:42 PM
or more :D My notebook was getting in need of reformatting/reinstalling everything. (IBM notebook running win98SE) I went to tucows (www.tucows.com) and looked at shareware backup programs. How can anything that's cheap or free be worth having?? Some are. I downloaded Image for Windows . It's shareware which is try-before-you buy. Reformatted the C:/ partition, reinstalled Windows, all the drivers and created an image. Installed other software that I use frequently and created another image. The image is written to any writable device i.e. another hard drive, CDRW, DVD/R, whatever and is self-booting. Today I was working away and notebook got flaky. I looked at running processes and it looked like something uninvited installed itself. (Yes I'm running A/V, software firewall & hardware firewall/router. I'm not sure what the entry was, but the notebook was flaky.

I just inserted the first CD, told the computer to boot from the CD Rom, did what it told me, and The computer restored to the state where the image was created, all network connections, networked printers etc. work as expected. Good defense against software or hardware problems. As has already been mentioned, it's a good idea to keep data files on a drive or partition separate from the OS & programs. All data files were untouched. I guess if a virus were residing on the data partition You'd have to get rid of the virus first, but it's SO nice to not have to reinstall all drivers, utilities, etc. The vendor is Terabyte Unlimited (www.terabyteunlimited.com)and the price is fair. There is also a utility I haven't downloaded so far that will extract one or more files from the image. Useful Stuff.

Thanks for Reading

Curt

P.S. I have no interest, fiduciary or otherwise in the above mentioned sites and programs, just a happy user.

Robert Goodwin
04-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Have not uses this product, but have used Powerquest Driveimage for doing simular tasks. Nice to be able to go back to a stable place now and then.

Boyd Gathwright
04-19-2004, 9:39 AM
Hi Curt,
Thanks for sharing. I’ll take a close look at this software. I just ran across a very effective Win2k registry cleaner the other day, best one so far. You can download it from C/NET. I use it in conjunction with NORTON SYSTEM WORKS. My registry has not been this clean in years. TweakNow RegCleaner, (http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10281433.html?tag=lst-0-1)

Thanks again and I’ll watch for your future posts.

Boyd :)

or more My notebook was getting in need of reformatting/reinstalling everything. (IBM notebook running win98SE) I went to tucows (www.tucows.com) and looked at shareware backup programs. How can anything that's cheap or free be worth having?? Some are. I downloaded Image for Windows . It's shareware which is try-before-you buy. Reformatted the C:/ partition, reinstalled Windows, all the drivers and created an image. Installed other software that I use frequently and created another image. The image is written to any writable device i.e. another hard drive, CDRW, DVD/R, whatever and is self-booting. Today I was working away and notebook got flaky. I looked at running processes and it looked like something uninvited installed itself. (Yes I'm running A/V, software firewall & hardware firewall/router. I'm not sure what the entry was, but the notebook was flaky. I just inserted the first CD, told the computer to boot from the CD Rom, did what it told me, and The computer restored to the state where the image was created, all network connections, networked printers etc. work as expected. Good defense against software or hardware problems. As has already been mentioned, it's a good idea to keep data files on a drive or partition separate from the OS & programs. All data files were untouched. I guess if a virus were residing on the data partition You'd have to get rid of the virus first, but it's SO nice to not have to reinstall all drivers, utilities, etc. The vendor is Terabyte Unlimited (www.terabyteunlimited.com)and the price is fair. There is also a utility I haven't downloaded so far that will extract one or more files from the image. Useful Stuff. Thanks for Reading Curt P.S. I have no interest, fiduciary or otherwise in the above mentioned sites and programs, just a happy user.