PDA

View Full Version : Veneered raised panels

Mike Mandio
06-27-2008, 7:36 PM
I've been hanging around the Creek for some time now, but this is my first post. I'm building three grandfather's clocks (one for the LOML and one for each of my children) that have raised panels in the base. I'm building the clocks out of Honduran mahagony and would like to use mahagony crotch for the panels. To reduce the cost, I'm considering veneering the panels instead of using solid wood. Has anyone done this before and how did it turn out?

Thanks

Jamie Buxton
06-27-2008, 7:44 PM
That's not an uncommon approach. One way to do it is to apply the veneer to solid lumber of the same species, with the grains running the same direction. If you choose the backer well, there isn't a big color change between the veneer and the lumber. Of course, there's a grain change, but there's little way to avoid that. You can apply the veneer first, and do the raising afterwards.

David DeCristoforo
06-27-2008, 8:39 PM
Here's the basic process.

First, you need to know the net width of the panel cutter you will be using. When I say "net" I mean the exact total distance from the edge of the panel to the... Oh heck, here's a picture:

The back of the core is veneered first. Then the "edge" is applied with the corners mitered. Then the face is veneered. The face veneer should overlap the seam between the core and the edge by approx. 1/16". Then you can shape the panel. One nice thing about this method is that the panel shows no end grain so it's very "finished" looking. I use this method on my "best" work.

Frank Drew
06-28-2008, 7:25 AM
Mike,

I've done it as David illustrates, using MDF as the core; I applied the splined, mitered edging before veneering both sides, but otherwise the same (there's been no seam showthrough on the back 20 years later). This is a good method, and since you want to use crotch I think veneer is about your only practical option.

Robert LaPlaca
06-28-2008, 7:41 PM
I've been hanging around the Creek for some time now, but this is my first post. I'm building three grandfather's clocks (one for the LOML and one for each of my children) that have raised panels in the base. I'm building the clocks out of Honduran mahagony and would like to use mahagony crotch for the panels. To reduce the cost, I'm considering veneering the panels instead of using solid wood. Has anyone done this before and how did it turn out?

Thanks
Hey Mike,

I used crotch walnut shop sawn veneer (1/16") on the front and back of a 1/2" straight grained walnut core on these tombstone style raised panels. The veneer was glued using Unibond and a vacuum press.

Mike Mandio
06-29-2008, 8:16 AM
Thanks for the replies. David, I'll give you method a try. I'll let you know how it works out.