PDA

View Full Version : First Gloat. Grizzly DC & Delta 6'' Jointer.

brett gallmeyer
06-27-2008, 4:41 PM
So I keep reading on SMC about everyones fantastic finds and gloats and I finally have two to add.

I read on a previous post in the deals forum about the 6'' Delta jointer on clearance at lowes. I would add a link but I'm typing this on my smartphone. Hence no pics for now... Anyways it stated that they were on clearance for $313 but rang up for $203! So I went in to find out that this wasnt true at my local borg. Well after much debate with two manages at the Blue Borg I walked out the door with my $203 deal. Which happened to be the last one in the store and it was still boxed up.

So of course i got home and immediately assembled my new toy. After I was finished I began adjusting and calibrating and then i saw it! A crack right down the dovetail in the main casting! I ended up haveing to drive 1 1/2 hours to the next closest blue borg. The ended up handing me a $60 gc for my trouble. All in all $140 for a new 6'' jointer is a good deal I think. And yes to answer the question. I allready have realized that I would much rather have an 8'' or larger jointer but this was two good of a deal to pass up. And I figured I can allways sell it for the $140 I payed for it when I find my next great jointer deal.

Any sugestions on upgrades? I was thinking possibly link belt and maby spiral or carbide cutterhead.. but I'm not sure if the money invested would be worth and results?

On to gloat 2!
On my way home from hitting up the local garage sales this past weekend I happened to drive pass a house that had a dc sitting in the front yard. I had to stop by and ask if it was for sale because I have been looking to upgrade my shop vac with phill thein seperator trashcan setup. Well to make another long... story shorter. I ended up getting an old Grizzly DC ''dark green paint and no model #, but has the grizzly steel lable on it. '' for $75! with a bit of negotiating.
Now I've never personally owned a DC but it seems pretty powerfull for only 1hp.

My questions are... I'm thinking of doing the phill baffle and canister or upgraded bag? I'm not sure of the micron filtration of the current bags but i'm sure there not up to par since its such an old unit. opinions and suggestions welcome. also does anyone have any info on these older collectors. It has a single 4'' port that i was thinking of modifying to a 5 or 6'' so i can run a T or later on run piping. Right now I move it from machine to machine cause i'm in a two car garage rental house.

Any imput or feedback would be greatly appreciated! And yes I will be posting pics when I get home tonight.

Thanks ahead of time, Brett G.

brett gallmeyer
06-28-2008, 9:59 AM
so here is the pic of the dc minus the bags.

Michael Schumacher
06-30-2008, 10:31 AM
My questions are... I'm thinking of doing the phill baffle and canister or upgraded bag? I'm not sure of the micron filtration of the current bags but i'm sure there not up to par since its such an old unit. opinions and suggestions welcome. also does anyone have any info on these older collectors. It has a single 4'' port that i was thinking of modifying to a 5 or 6'' so i can run a T or later on run piping. Right now I move it from machine to machine cause i'm in a two car garage rental house.

I'd do the phill baffle and canister. I'm going to save some money up and do that for mine, but I'm going to have to redo the base for it, since a trash can won't fit under it nicely.

As for the piping, no clue...although if you are going to move from machine to machine, I'd just stick with what it has.

As for the jointer, nice score...although a pic would be nice :)

Michael

brett gallmeyer
07-01-2008, 1:44 AM
Here's a pick of the delta jt360 jointer I got for $140.00

Craig Nickles
09-24-2008, 4:59 PM
That is a worthy gloat. Just wish it was my gloat:)!

John Eaton
09-25-2008, 6:11 AM
I'd go with a canister and phil's baffle as well. I sold my HF unit just recently (was in the way since I got the cyclone) but if i was still using it I'd do the baffle for sure (it already had a Wynn canister).

-- John