PDA

View Full Version : How to mount this bucket sink?

Todd Burch
04-18-2004, 4:45 PM
I picked up this discard from a work site a few weeks ago. I want to make a cabinet for it, but I'm not sure how to mount it. Any ideas? It's a 1975 American Standard. Their web site doesnt appear to list it anymore.

Thanks, Todd

Steve Clardy
04-18-2004, 5:11 PM
I picked up this discard from a work site a few weeks ago. I want to make a cabinet for it, but I'm not sure how to mount it. Any ideas? It's a 1975 American Standard. Their web site doesnt appear to list it anymore.

Thanks, Todd
Todd. If I remember right, cut your hole so the inside lip of ring sits in the cab top, then the sink sits in the ring. Does your ring fit the sink when you slip the ring on from the bottom of sink? Steve

Todd Burch
04-18-2004, 5:21 PM
Steve, the (decorative chrome) ring has bendable tangs all around it. When I got the sink, I bent the tabs out and lifted the ring off the top of the sink. Does this flimsy ring hold the sink up by itself, or is there addtional hardware that supports the sink from underneath? I've removed sinks before that had some sort of clips screwed to the bottom of the cabinet top that supported the sink. I would think that with the weight of this cast iron sink, and it being full of water, no way would just the ring hold it up - but I've been wrong before.

Steve Clardy
04-18-2004, 5:32 PM
Steve, the (decorative chrome) ring has bendable tangs all around it. When I got the sink, I bent the tabs out and lifted the ring off the top of the sink. Does this flimsy ring hold the sink up by itself, or is there addtional hardware that supports the sink from underneath? I've removed sinks before that had some sort of clips screwed to the bottom of the cabinet top that supported the sink. I would think that with the weight of this cast iron sink, and it being full of water, no way would just the ring hold it up - but I've been wrong before.
As I remember, thats all that holds it in. Yes, looks very flimsy. If this is a future shop sink, maybe just cut your hole size so the sink drops in, using sink putty to seal it up. Maybe discard the ring.
I don't remember anything else supporting those old sinks. Looks like you have an inch or so lip around the bowl for it to sit on.

Jim Schmoll
04-18-2004, 5:41 PM
Todd,

I have put in several of these sinks. You are missing the T clips to hold it up. Stop at a ACE or True Value hardware store and they should be able to help. The clips are like the ones used for stainless sinks.

Jim from Idyllwild CA