PDA

View Full Version : More Kudos for the Worksharp

Ben Cadotte
06-27-2008, 3:39 PM
I have had my WS3000 for several months now. I have only done hand chisels with it and was totally impressed.

Yesterday when I was playing with my new resaw blade I took a large piece of oak over to the jointer. Since I travel alot, I always check blades to make sure nothing got in the area while I am gone. And I noticed 1 blade had dings at both ends of the blade, and I already knew all 3 of them have some small scores in a couple spots.

I needed to wax the beds and fence so today I spent time on cleaning up the jointer. Anyway I decided since the one blade was chipped I would give it a try and clean it up on my own. Couldn't loose if I had to order new ones anyway. So I took all 3 blades out and made a small blade holder out of a piece of 2x2 scrap I had. I cut it at the propper angle and deep enough to leave the cutting edge up about 1/32".

The 2x2 was 2" shorter than my 6" jointer blades, so I could hold pressure against the blade in the 2x2. I then put on a 120 grit wheel on the Worksharp. And used the 2x2 against the top guide bar. I just ran the blades back and forth across the top of the wheel. Then pulled the blade out of the 2x2 and layed them flat on the wheel to remove the bur. They came out beautiful. I didn't go far enough to try and clean up the 2 chipped ends. But a minute or so on each blade got rid of the small score. And the blades are as sharp as new.

Absolutely a breeze to sharpen the blades on the WS even though they are wider than the wheel. I just stayed with the one grit. The test cuts on the oak after words was great. Nice clean, smooth surface. Shavings were nice and fine. I see no reason why not to touch up jointer blades on the Worksharp. Worked great.

Bob Noles
06-27-2008, 5:28 PM
Ben,

Awesome creativity on your part. Is there any way to talk you out of some pictures of your jig for those of us who would like to give it a shot? :cool:

Ron Jones near Indy
06-27-2008, 8:07 PM
Inventive way to use the Worksharp. Nice creativity. Yes, pictures would be great!

Ben Cadotte
06-28-2008, 5:47 PM
I will see what tomorrow brings. I already have the blades in of course. But I can take a pic of the wood and on the worksharp. But it is extremely simple.

The bevel on my jointer blades are 45 deg. So I set the table saw to a 45 cut. I then took the 2x2 and ran it over the blade. Checked the height and after a total of 3 cuts had the right depth. Then cross cut the 2x2 to about 4" (6" blades).