PDA

View Full Version : Moulder on a Jointer?

Dennis Lopeman
06-27-2008, 3:25 PM
So I saw someone asking about Global Tooling blades - so I went to have a look...

I saw this:
http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/quick_lock_heads.html

Wow - pretty cool...

so my question is this (and I will research after this but I have gotten in the habbit of coming here first cuz you guys are so helpful and seem to know everything!):

Can I put this sort of thing or other molding blades in my jointer?? Its a typical Delta 6" dj15...

I should mention that I'm reletively new to this tool and wood working techniques in general... also, I'm lazy and tend not to read all my manuals!! :)

Thanks

Peter Quinn
06-27-2008, 6:14 PM
I'd call global for a professional answer to that question

My though is that you would be very limited in terms of the depth of molding profile that can be run on a jointer given the very narrow geometry of the opening. The table edges typically run very close to the knife edge to act as a chip breaker. Further, the cut quality on a 6" jointer diminishes rapidly as the depth per pass exceeds 1/16" per pass, so molding may not be possible for that reason also. The motor may not be able to push molder knives in hardwood. You may run into similar problems trying to put molding knives in a standard planer. There simply isn't enough clearance between the chip breaker and pressure bar (if your machine has one) to allow molding knives.

I inquired with my local tool grinder about having knives made to create the back reliefs on casing and flooring for a 6" general jointer, my back up machine. I was told it was possible if the cuts were light, but not advisable. Further a power feeder was strongly suggested.

Dennis Lopeman
06-27-2008, 9:12 PM
Huh! I would not have expected that a jointer wouldn't have enough power. The clearance thing i thought of...

I mean - if you can do what you can do with a hand held router, I would have thought a jointer would do it better.

I couldn't really find anything good except I saw some very expensive looking equipment that made my mouth water... :)

I have seen that Magic Molder... that looks like the best priced alternative.

Joe Spackle
06-27-2008, 11:56 PM
So I saw someone asking about Global Tooling blades - so I went to have a look...

I saw this:
http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/quick_lock_heads.html

Wow - pretty cool...

so my question is this (and I will research after this but I have gotten in the habbit of coming here first cuz you guys are so helpful and seem to know everything!):

Can I put this sort of thing or other molding blades in my jointer?? Its a typical Delta 6" dj15...

I should mention that I'm reletively new to this tool and wood working techniques in general... also, I'm lazy and tend not to read all my manuals!! :)

Thanks

No they are not something you can mount on a jointer.

The heads are designed for dedicated molding machines

http://www.scmgroup-usa.com/product_pages/graphics/machines/medium/moulder/Compact-NT.gif

HTH

Joe

Mike Heidrick
06-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Looks similar in design to a moulder/planer head only without the gibs. Check out the PM 15" and Jet/Griz 13" moulder planers.