PDA

View Full Version : Neener, neener, neener - looky what I got!!

Todd Burch
04-18-2004, 4:42 PM
Yeah, early bird gets the worm I guess! I was at a local pro-show for a vendor I use last week (4/8) and I got to talking with the area rep from Zinsser. He spilled the beans about a new product coming out called "French Polish". I told him that I wanted one to try it out and he said he would oblige. Anyway, on Friday, 4/16, he came through. This 16 oz. can is from the second case that rolled off the line. I tried it on a scrap already, but the directions indicate that you need to seal the wood prior to putting this on. I will make an end table out of walnut and give it a try. I know Rockler will be carrying it, but the local stores probably don't know about it yet.

It goes on with a rag only. And, based on the container size, 16 oz., it's probably pricey. In addition to that, and I'm sure you all know this, but there is a world-wide shortage of shellac right now and there is, or will be shortly, a 10% price increase across the board on shellac. Also, Zinsser is now the only distributor of pre-made shellac in North America now. It was interesting and informative talking with the rep.

So, I guess I'm the first one on my block to get a can.... WOO-HOO!!

Todd

Todd Burch
04-18-2004, 4:43 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention the most important part - you can put 5 coats on in 15 minutes!!

Mark Singer
04-18-2004, 6:17 PM
Neener????My neighbor says that, she is from Michigan. Zinser is the VS difference between the Jet Mini and the Jet VS....very shinney

John Miliunas
04-18-2004, 6:23 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention the most important part - you can put 5 coats on in 15 minutes!!

So Todd, did your "insider" tell you when the rest of us poor slobs might be able to get our mitts on it? :cool:

Dave Anderson NH
04-18-2004, 7:11 PM
The Zinnser marketing manager sampled me on the stuff a little over a year ago in the blonde version. It is going to be available in both the blonde and the garnet for those of us who like period style finishes. They are also working on a friction polish version for lathe users. It's really great stuff, you'll like it.

Jim Becker
04-18-2004, 9:45 PM
Looks like the stuff I was given as a sample at the woodworking show up this way a few months ago...I've been using it on turnings. Unfortunately "my" local rep didn't return my emails and calls and I'm almost out as of today. Sheesh!

At any rate, I really like the product.

Bob Marino
04-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Jim,

Any more detail as to why you like it?

Bob

Jim Becker
04-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Any more detail as to why you like it?
Very easy to use...wipe it on; let it dry for a few minutes; buff it out on the lathe; repeat until you have the build you want. I like it much better than the products from Mylands and others. It also doesn't change the color of the piece you are turning much at all so it's a good substitute for an oil/varnish mixture when your are "color sensitive"...

Robert Goodwin
04-18-2004, 10:58 PM
What is the difference between french polish and shellac. I always thought that French polishing was a technique used with shellac. :confused:

Todd Burch
04-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Robert, you are correct. However, it's a marketing thing. (Just like my Blue Bell Ice Cream says "homemade vanilla", but then they put that (R) after it - it's really not homemade.

This product, as quickly explained to me by the rep, after I made the same comment to him that you just made, is a bit different from shellac. It smells like shellac, but there is some oil added to it (and he wouldn't tell me what oil - and he also wouldn't tell me what the "preservative" is that is added to their shellac to give it a 3 year shelf life!)

Jim Becker
04-18-2004, 11:08 PM
What is the difference between french polish and shellac. I always thought that French polishing was a technique used with shellac.
Don't confuse "marketing" with real facts/methods. Traditional "French polish" techniques are a method of instilling a deep, clear shine on table tops and other things finished with shellac.

Companies who market products with "French Polish" in the name are "suggesting" to you that their wipe-on product will give the same effect. The material itself is shellac based and is pre-formulated to be wiped on right out of the container. Whether or not it will come close to a true-French Polish finish is questionable in my mind, but I've had success with these products and plain old regular de-waxed shellac in a thin cut applied in the same way.

Jason Roehl
04-19-2004, 8:35 AM
This product, as quickly explained to me by the rep, after I made the same comment to him that you just made, is a bit different from shellac. It smells like shellac, but there is some oil added to it (and he wouldn't tell me what oil - and he also wouldn't tell me what the "preservative" is that is added to their shellac to give it a 3 year shelf life!) Todd, this is one area where gub'mint is on your side. Want to know what's in something? Ask for an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)--they list all known ingredients. After all, Todd, you're a business. If you were ever to have employees, you would be required to have MSDS's available for your employees' perusing for every chemical present on the job.

So if you get your hands on the MSDS, let us know what's in the stuff!!

Todd Burch
04-19-2004, 8:38 AM
If I were a betting man, I would bet some derivation of mineral oil...

Joe Suelter
04-19-2004, 12:37 PM
That's just what I was thinking, Jason! MSDS sheets are required for any chemical you have in a business, whether you have employees or not, I think. They are free and will tell you everything you want to know and more!!!