PDA

View Full Version : The View at work - minigloat

Kevin Arceneaux
06-27-2008, 2:27 PM
This is what I get to look at. I know it is tough, but someone has to do it.

1. Looking south out at the Pacific Ocean

2. Looking across the channel

3. Looking back at the site

4&5 Sometimes big things get in the way of the view

What do you get to look at?

David G Baker
06-27-2008, 2:56 PM
Kevin,
I am retired so I get to look at photos of what other folks look at while they are working. :D

Mike Henderson
06-27-2008, 3:44 PM
Where are you? That certainly isn't a view from Lafayette, Louisiana.

Mike

Bruce Page
06-27-2008, 3:46 PM
I don’t know how you put up with it.

Thank God that there are no windows in my lab!!

Don Abele
06-27-2008, 4:12 PM
Where are you? That certainly isn't a view from Lafayette, Louisiana.

Mike

Yeah, that would be quite a view from Lousiana all the way to the Pacific Ocean :eek:

Be well,

Doc

Kevin Arceneaux
06-27-2008, 4:26 PM
It is a Navy project for Pearl Harbor, but located on Hickam AFB. Bishop's Point

Bruce Volden
06-27-2008, 4:53 PM
You know Kevin.....guys like you make guys like me sick!!!

I don't even have a window :mad:

But I only have 6 months left to retirement :D

Bruce

Joe Chritz
06-27-2008, 9:42 PM
What do you get to look at?

This is a family oriented forum so I am not sure I can really get into all that I get to look at.

Sometimes it is good, most of the time it is not so good.

Sometimes I want to pop out my eyeballs and rinse them in bleach. :eek:

Joe

David G Baker
06-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Joe,
What you see and have to deal with on a daily basis is exactly why I chose a career that was not in law enforcement. I saw enough as part of a news camera crew in San Francisco.

Don Abele
06-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Kevin, here's what's outside my window at work:

Be well,

Doc

Dave Lehnert
06-27-2008, 11:04 PM
That's nothing. I use to have a view from the office of an open field with woods on the back side. Wildlife running around. Attached is a similar photo of what I see now.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/Wal-Mart_in_Madison_Heights.jpg

Dewey Torres
06-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Nice post... great to see some Navy in any picture!
Dewey

Kevin Arceneaux
06-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks. The Channel has been like a freeway the last few days with Rimpac starting.

http://www.c3f.navy.mil/RIMPAC_2008/RIMPAC_2008.html

http://www.seawaves.com/RIMPAC2008.htm

The most interesting looking ship is the Singapore one. It is brand spanking new

Angus Hines
06-28-2008, 11:16 AM
I don't have a picture of it but the Navy has a ship very similar to that one here in Norfolk thats about 80' and will run 70 knots awesome boat. I'll try and get a few sneak pictures of it next time they have it out in the harbour for trials...

Last time I took pictures they pulled me and took my camera Oh Well just need to be sneakyer

As the Supreme court has said "NO ONE can have an expectation of Privacy" while out in public and to me that includes our military.

Curt Harms
06-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Do you look at pics 4 & 5 of the original post and start thinking "juicy target"?:eek:

:D

Angus Hines
06-28-2008, 11:48 AM
LOL ..... No it's not new enough.....An old rusty barnacle barge is all that is. I prefer storming the Nuclear subs sitting at the base all helpless and weak.

Don Abele
06-28-2008, 5:08 PM
Do you look at pics 4 & 5 of the original post and start thinking "juicy target"?:eek: :D

Curt, I have always said, "There are only two vessels in the ocean, submarines and targets!" :p

While most of the periscope shots I have are classified, this one is readily available on the net. It is the USS HOUSTON (SSN 713) in 2006 taking a bearing on a transport ship (during exercise Valiant Shield):

Say cheese...:D...(and gross tonnage) :eek:

Be well,

Doc

Dewey Torres
06-30-2008, 1:39 AM
Awe Come On Doc... be nice to the SURFACE Navy.

Believe me; coming from a joint environemnt I can tell you there are enough folks taking a stab at us from the other branches than to have us competing w/ each other.

That being said, I always felt like we were playing oly-oly oxen free (here I am come get me) w/ our sonar every time we play war games w/ the U.S. SUBS. Damn flares on the horizon once again.... Good thing they (you guys) are on our side :D

Dewey

Kevin Arceneaux
06-30-2008, 2:07 AM
You sub folks NEED to take a harder look at pic 2

Russ Filtz
06-30-2008, 2:12 PM
I just changed jobs for some reason and went from a nice private office (with door!) to a cubicle hell placed right on a busy aisle. Have a nice view of a filing cabinet and a fabric beige wall!

Across from me is a nice open office (cubicle still though) with a nice view of Tampa airport and a sliver of the bay. They keep it open for visiting VIP's! :rolleyes:

Don Abele
06-30-2008, 10:14 PM
You sub folks NEED to take a harder look at pic 2

Kevin, I'm not positive because it's too low resolution, but that does not look like a submarine periscope. Besides that, it would be extremely odd for a boat to be submerged that close to land. I have a good idea what it is, but need to check it's classification before commenting on it.

Be well,

Doc

Kevin Arceneaux
06-30-2008, 10:31 PM
If you are using Firefox, right click on it and open in a new tab, it will go to 1280x857 resolution

John Schreiber
07-01-2008, 1:49 AM
I just got a new job which I really like, but my office doesn't have a window. It opens into an outer office which doesn't have any windows. That office opens onto a hallway which has no windows for 100 yards in either direction. Sounds like an underground military base, but it's a college. The windows are reserved for classrooms and administrators.

It really bothered me at first, but I'm adapting.

Bob Moyer
07-01-2008, 8:38 AM
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/sissick/batesville_casket_frtlnr.jpg

I don't work here; it is the DC next door!

Don Abele
07-01-2008, 11:05 PM
If you are using Firefox, right click on it and open in a new tab, it will go to 1280x857 resolution

Kevin, I did that but it's still a little blurry. But based on what I know about submarine operations and their equipment I'm pretty sure it's not a sub.

After asking some questions and finding out it's cleared, what this appears to be is a photo of the Advanced Seal Delivery System (ASDS).

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/images/asds-ssn-766-3.jpg

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/images/asds-seal3.jpg

This is a mini submersible used by the SEALs. Other than that, the only information I can give is to read up on it here: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/asds.htm

Be well,

Doc

Kevin Arceneaux
07-02-2008, 2:28 AM
Yep

They do a lot of training out of Pearl and we some odd things. That is when I know not have the camera out.

The Lake Erie is home ported here and does a lot of amazing things. SO far this year She has shot a errant satellite down and knocked down 2 or 3 missiles in tests. After the last successful test she came up channel like a bat out of hell. She was coming faster than any other ship I have seen in 16 months

We had an old lady enter today. The Kitty Hawk making its last cruise. It is here for RIMPAC.