PDA

View Full Version : Gramercy 9'' Dovetail Saw Kit?

brett gallmeyer
06-27-2008, 12:00 PM
So here is my first post on SMC. I have some good gloats to follow including an old Grizzly DC that I picked up at a garage sale for $75.

But, back to the reason for this post. I recently bought an antique Yorktowne ''warranted superior'' backsaw on ebay. I havn't been two thrilled with he results. partially because I am a beginer in the art of hand cutting dovetails and secondly for the fact that it has a wide kerf and a slight wave in the blade. So, i have decided to purchase a true dovetail saw. I have heard good things about the gramercy line of handsaws on this forum. My main question is if anyone has used their 9'' dovetail saw kit? I found it on www.toolsforwoorkingwood.com it seems that it would be the same saw. I have larger hands and most saws that i have used are uncomfortable. so not only would i be paying $70 for the kit compared to $140 for the finished saw but i could build the handle to fit me better. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Including anyone who has bought the kit or the saw.

Thanks ahead of time, Brett G.

Mike K Wenzloff
06-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Welcome to SMC, Brett!

btw, the link is bad--one too many 'oo's in there. Here's a link to the kit itself:
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=GT-DKIT.XX&Category_Code=TMQ

The important as regards how the saw cuts is already done, so in that sense it is the same saw as the fully built one.

I think that unless you have really, really large hands, the handle as designed will fit you. Older-patterened DT saws encourage a light grip and so in that sense they are neither very thick nor the circumference around the tote proper isn't large.

But as you mentioned, you can always alter the pattern to suit. I would encourage a quick mock-up of the handle and shaping process out of something like a thick piece of Poplar or something to see where the handle *might* need altered from the pattern.

Take care, Mike
back to the shop...

Tony Zaffuto
06-27-2008, 12:37 PM
I received the Gramercy saw for Father's Day a couple of weeks ago. In the short period of time I've had it, I like it! I also have several Disstons, a Jackson and an Adria saw that are all sharpened for dovetail work. The Gramercy has a different feel than any other and almost feels light. I've cut a few dovetails with it and found it to be an accurate cutting saw for the wood I was working: 1/2" poplar (drawer sides) 3/4" cherry (drawer front).

Bear in mind, I'm a hobbyist and at this point, as with any new tool, the saw is still a novelty. I still do like the Adria and recently used it for cutting dovetails a few days ago in some 3/4" poplar.

I would go for the Gramercy kit in a heart beat.

T.Z.

Mark Stutz
06-27-2008, 1:21 PM
I fell in love with the Grammercy when I visited Joel's showroom and had a chance to try it out. I like it better than the Adria, and is on par with my Wenzloff. Itis smaller and lighter than the others, so in my mind it is a single purpose saw...cutting DTs...as opposed to the others which I call small joinery saws. The other difference is the Grammercy has a higher hang angle than the others. I like it but YMMV.

Mark

brett gallmeyer
06-27-2008, 3:50 PM
First off, thank you mike for the updated link. I typed up this thread on my phone durring a break at work. So, I do apologize for any gramatical or spelling errors.

I really enjoy how fast people respond with all types of info.

I have been looking at other dovetail saws and did read the full description of this saw. I think i would like the fact that its a little lighter and more specialized. I plan on keeping my ebay purchase and attempt to straighten the minor wave and take a stab at sharpening teeth. That backsaw i feel will be more suited for cutting tennons and other joinery. And feedback on that thought?

As for the big hand comment. lol. I'm sure I don't have monstorous hands. However, while using my current backsaw it just seemed that my wide palm ''knukle to knuckle'' just wouldnt fit right. Now, Im sure that current handsaws are made a bit more suitible and comfortable. Really I just like the idea that I'm assebling the saw myself and making the handle. Any info on handle making would be benificial because I plan on making a new one for my current backsaw.

On a side note.. I was also considering a Japanese Dozuki saw. I could purchase a good one for about the same price as the Gramercy kit. Any oppinions on that issue?

Once again thanks, Brett G.

Thom Sturgill
06-27-2008, 4:19 PM
I built and enjoy the Gramercy saw kit, and would build another in a heartbeat. It definitely gives you the opportunity to fit the tote to your hand. That said, remember that only three fingers go around the tote, the other points along the side toward the blade, and the grip is very light. Like Mike said, dummy up a tote out of poplar or something before you change the pattern too much on your good wood. You can download the instructions including the tote pattern, and work on that before you buy. I did find that installing the brass back was a little unnerving, LOL.

Now if I can just get Mike to send me one of HIS kits. He hasn't answered my emails... I have a larger back saw for tenon rip cuts, but want/need one for crosscuts.

Michael Faurot
06-27-2008, 4:19 PM
I plan on keeping my ebay purchase and attempt to straighten the minor wave and take a stab at sharpening teeth.
[...]
And feedback on that thought?

I'd suggest learning to sharpen the teeth first and then see how the saw cuts. If the saw cuts good and straight, even with a slight bend in it--leave it alone. I've read several different things about how to go about straightening saws--and I've failed every time I've tried. You may have better luck than me, but when you go to try this, find some cheap saws at a local flea market. If you ruin one of those you're not going to feel too bad about it.

On a side note.. I was also considering a Japanese Dozuki saw. I could purchase a good one for about the same price as the Gramercy kit. Any oppinions on that issue?
I like and use both Western push saws and Eastern pull saws. Some people find they prefer one style over another. If you've never used a Dozuki (or other pull type saw) see if you can try one out first, before you spend a lot on one. If that's not an option, you may want to try a relatively inexpensive one. Awhile back Woodcraft had a sale on their Dozuki "Z" (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=850) and I picked one up and have found it cuts good and straight.

Johnny Kleso
06-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Brett,
know that Mike K Wenzloff is one of the finist saws makers there is http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/saws/index.html

You maybe able to buy a kit from him but he has a huge backlog still I think...

Danny Thompson
06-27-2008, 10:51 PM
My understanding was that the Gramercy saws are Joel Moskowitz's product and "Tools for Working Wood" is his shop, so a kit sold by www.toolsforworkingwood.com (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com) would be the 100% "real deal."

Is that so?

Johnny Kleso
06-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Yes,
Gramercy is Joel's company and sold at his shop TFWW...

Mike sells his saws and so does LV

Danny Thompson
06-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Saws from both are on my wishlist, for sure. The bow from Joel and the tenon from Mike.

Ray Gardiner
06-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi Brett, Welcome to the forum.

Go for the gramercy, you won't regret it.

Regarding saw performance, it's all in the sharpening. (once you get balance, feel and technique correct ).

Longer term, plan to spend a bit of time and effort learning how to sharpen your own saws. Like all skills, it takes time, patience and practice but it is well worth the effort in the longer term.

Meantime, the gramercy kit, comes ready sharpened and set, so you almost can't go wrong. Plus you can fashion the handle to suit your hand.

Good Luck.