PDA

View Full Version : My work in Laguna Beach Art Show

Dan Stuewe
06-27-2008, 11:09 AM
You heard right, my work is on display at the Art-a-Fair art show in Laguna Beach, CA this summer (http://www.art-a-fair.com/). I'm also planning on having similar work at a Laguna Beach gallery (Artist Eye) for the next year.

I've included a couple of pictures showing my work. Oh yeah, there's also some pretty cool pieces of glass that my wife made sitting on top of my work.

In case my sense of humor (or whatever you might call it) doesn't translate to my message, my wife Mickey is the artist whose work is on display (and for sale) at the two venues. We're really excited and hope and pray this exposure does wonders for her career as an artist. My work is the round shelves and the cabinet. I'll be making some pedestals for her work at the gallery.

If anyone happens to be in Orange County over the summer and would like to visit the show, let me know. I can't vouch for how many coupons my wife has left, but I know she received a bunch of them for half off admission to the show.

Mike Henderson
06-27-2008, 12:52 PM
That looks good - both the artwork and the work supporting the artwork. It looks like you used a lot of solid surface material (Corian type material) - is that correct?

Congratulations to both you and your wife, Mickey, on being in the show.

Mike

Clara Koss
06-27-2008, 12:58 PM
very artistic family!!!!! lovely work on both your sides....thanks for posting photos and look forward to more pics....:)

Dan Stuewe
06-27-2008, 1:32 PM
Thanks Mike and Clara.

It looks like you used a lot of solid surface material (Corian type material) - is that correct?

Most everything is plywood and MDF. The round shelves are 1/2" MDF with 5/8" MDF support arms (primed and painted). They are attached to the wall with metal angle brackets that are sandwiched between the shelf and the support. Then two screws are driven through the top and holes in the bracket into the support. Basically all the weight is held up by the bracket. The weak MDF only has to hold itself on the bracket (no pull out force). (there are little blocks that keep the shelves from rotating about the bracket, but they're pretty well hidden by paint.) The low table is plywood with iron on edge banding. The cabinet was made with doors and counter top material from a Habitat for Humanity thrift store. The counter top is formica with the edges painted to hide the particle board.

Jim Becker
06-27-2008, 8:12 PM
Congratulations to both of you! Great show from what I head. Be sure to hook up with Mark Singer while you're down there, too...he's right up the street. Literally.

Dan Stuewe
08-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Just wanted to pop this back up to pass along that on Saturday (8/23) my wife was awarded "Best Glass Artist" at the show by her fellow artists!

I'm really proud of her!

Belinda Barfield
08-27-2008, 2:54 PM
Congrats all around! Beautiful work. Does Mickey produce any lampwork beads or dichoric glass beads or cabochons?

Dan Stuewe
08-27-2008, 4:11 PM
Belinda,
Thanks. Mickey does some cabochon type of work (her career as an artist started off with jewelry so she has made some pendants), but she aspires to making larger "wall art" types of pieces. She loves to use dichroic glass but really has to control herself due to its cost (many of her pendants are made with dichroic). She also likes using iridized (sp?) glass. I've always wondered if she would get into flame work, but she seems really happy with fusing right now (actually I think, if money were no object, she would first try blowing glass).

I think this one is made of dichro (it is about 10" square)
http://www.miquedesigns.com/_images/artglass/ScrunchTH.jpg

Belinda Barfield
08-27-2008, 4:22 PM
Belinda,
Thanks. Mickey does some cabochon type of work (her career as an artist started off with jewelry so she has made some pendants), but she aspires to making larger "wall art" types of pieces. She loves to use dichroic glass but really has to control herself due to its cost (many of her pendants are made with dichroic). She also likes using iridized (sp?) glass. I've always wondered if she would get into flame work, but she seems really happy with fusing right now (actually I think, if money were no object, she would first try blowing glass).

Very nice Dan. I make jewelry as a hobby. I only wish it could be considered art! :rolleyes: I haven't worked up the courage, time, or money to try fusing but I would really love to, particularly dichro. I'd like to try flamework as well. Maybe the show will create enough dough for her to get started in blowing glass. :)