PDA

View Full Version : Finish for a bathroom sink stand

Burt Alcantara
06-27-2008, 10:33 AM
I will be constructing a simple stand using hard maple legs with a leopard wood apron to hold a glass vessel sink.

Are there any considerations to the finish? We live in a dry environment, no kids, and we're careful with water usage.

Urethane, varnish, lacquer, penetrating oil?

My only experience with leopard wood is a few small turnings so I'm not too sure about the best way to get the most color out of this wood. I'd like to keep the maple close to white.

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Burt

David DeCristoforo
06-27-2008, 11:34 AM
"Man O War" satin marine spar varnish.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-27-2008, 11:58 AM
A typical oil based polyurethane would be my first choice. There is always the potential of a few drips landing on the cabinet's top while reaching for a towel, or just from splashing, that may go un-noticed.

And, once you apply poly, you will never have to finish it again. I do not recommend water based polyurethane. Water based polyurethane doesn't like cleaners containing ammonia.

-Jeff :)

Burt Alcantara
06-27-2008, 12:10 PM
I should have specified that the top is granite. Wood parts are legs, apron and slat shelf.

Burt

Larry Fox
06-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Maybe look at Waterlox for that. Makes a nice low-build finish. Also Target USL might be a nice choice if you are looking for something with a bit more build and can spray.

Burt Alcantara
06-28-2008, 1:07 PM
I've been thinking about USL for my lathe turnings but have no spray equipment nor a place to spray. I sprayed a few turnings with my airbrush and my shop looked like San Francisco in the summer. Went back to hairy sticks.

Burt