PDA

View Full Version : Stubby Lathe WTB

jason lambert
06-27-2008, 9:44 AM
I am a bit in a fog here so sorry for the clueless questions. I want to get a lathe I would perfer a stubby since space is an issue and heck it is a ok lathe. Really the versility for size is what sold me. I have been looking for one used on craigs list etc. But no luck for about a year, any other sugestions where to expand my search for a used one? New, I can't really justify the cost.

Dick Strauss
06-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Jason,
You'll probably want to look for a different brand. Because of Stubby's excellent reputation, they usually sell for close to new prices even for 5 year old machines. There are also so few Stubbies around that they rarely come up for sale on the used market. They are built to last a lifetime and they usually do.

Maybe you want to consider a Nova or Vicmarc as well. They aren't a Stubby but they have a good reputation with a smallish footprint.

Vicmarcs:
http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=539

Novas/Teknatool site:
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/Overview.htm

Good luck,
Dick

jason lambert
06-27-2008, 10:23 AM
If I don't do a Stubby I am thinking a powermatic is my next best chioce. Mainlythe movable headstock is what intrests me.

Jack Savona
06-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Jason, try john@johnjordanwoodturning.com.

He posted this on the AAW want ads for a friend: Stubby 750, Jet 1236, Baldor grinder, McNaughton Center Saver, chucks, gouges, tools, sanding discs etc. I expect there's a lot more and he'll throw it all in. He seems motivated to sell it, but it's not a giveaway. Around the price of a new Stubby would get it all.

It's located in Maine 4hrs north of Boston.

If you do head north, give a call. I'm in Kennebunkport.

Jack

George Morris
06-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Jason dollar for dollar the 3520 powermatic is a excelent lathe. For a price around 3500 you can't go wrong. If you are serious go to toolnut for a price,I belive the are in the mfg index at bottom of site.they had the best price when I looked. I am very happy with it. George

Bruce Pennell
06-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Jason I bought my 3520b from Sean at Toolnut. Love it, the sliding head stock is great, that and the VS I used both all the time. Best money I ever spent. Love the power, went from a 3/4 hp delta 46-450 to the PM, night and day difference. Sean had by far the best price. One thing I forgot to order was a spindle adapter 1 1/4X8 to 1x8 so I could use my chucks. The Stubby's look great, just hard to choke down the money. I think you won't be disappointed either way you go. Good Luck...Bruce

Gary Herrmann
06-27-2008, 12:23 PM
I've also got a PM3520b. Great lathe. Is it in the same class as Stubby/Oneway/Robust? No. But it is a great lathe for half the price of the others - especially if you buy from Toolnut.

Brodie Brickey
06-27-2008, 1:06 PM
Jason,

If space is an issue, the PM will be an issue. I have one, I do love it, but it is big. If you aren't going to be doing reproduction turning, the Stuffy is a great option.

I'd contact John Jordan since he sells them. the used Stubby may still be available with the add ons to make your life a little more enjoyable.

John Shuk
06-27-2008, 1:50 PM
Jack beat me to the punch but you should try the e-mail address.

Wilbur Pan
06-27-2008, 7:37 PM
Sorry in advance for going off on a tangent:

For some reason, I've had it in my mind that 36" between centers was a sort of standard capacity for a lathe. The 3520B is 34-1/2" between centers. Has anyone ever missed having that extra 1-1/2"?

And yes, I know you can get a bed extension, but that's not the point here.

Jim Becker
06-27-2008, 8:20 PM
As a Stubby owner, I can say that used ones come up very rarely, but they do come up. Be sure you join the Stubby User Group on Yahoo if you have not already.

Brodie, while John does still sell Stubby as an authorized reseller, he's no longer the importer/distributor. Bill Rubenstein took that over a few years ago. The official site is: http://www.stubbylatheusa.com./cgi-bin/index.py

John Shuk
06-27-2008, 8:57 PM
Stubby is very nice. If you aren't sure about the cost but space is an issue you might want to check out the Vega bowl lathe.
Bill Grumbine bought one and has professed to loving it. It's also about nearly half the cost of a Stubby(nice tho they are)

Bob Hallowell
06-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Stubby is very nice. If you aren't sure about the cost but space is an issue you might want to check out the Vega bowl lathe.
Bill Grumbine bought one and has professed to loving it. It's also about nearly half the cost of a Stubby(nice tho they are)

I turned on Bill's vega- Nice machine

Bob

Jack Savona
06-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Jason, I just sent you a PM.

jason lambert
08-05-2008, 12:06 PM
I did try the link above and got the contact info but after about 1 month the guy will still not give me a price so I made him a offer and never herd back I supect from his emils he is just not willing to part with it. He kept on hinting he wanted to get back into it and it was a injury that led him to think about selling it. Oh well my pacients is getting thin going to order a powermatic.

Tom Godley
08-05-2008, 12:20 PM
When I first started looking for a new lathe, I inquired about them, They look like a very nice product. The problem was getting actual information regarding the delivery time and price.

With limited importation and the falling dollar I picked a bad time to be looking for information.

.............and I would never be so lucky as to have someone close enough selling one -- So I went in another direction.

Frank Drew
08-05-2008, 2:00 PM
Sorry in advance for going off on a tangent:

For some reason, I've had it in my mind that 36" between centers was a sort of standard capacity for a lathe. The 3520B is 34-1/2" between centers. Has anyone ever missed having that extra 1-1/2"?

And yes, I know you can get a bed extension, but that's not the point here.

Wilbur,

From what I've seen there really is no exact standard. For me, the ideal lathe would turn ca. 60" between centers (say, for a short bedpost) and also be set up for faceplace/bowl turning outboard, either at the left end or with a sliding headstock.

robert hainstock
08-05-2008, 2:42 PM
Depends on what you want to do. My first lathe had a 48" bed and was great for walking sticks and canes. My present lathe has a (nominal) 36 in bed that is a great place to set sandpaper, tools and other stuff because most of the time the extra length beyond the tailstock is relativly useless.
My advice, get a firm grasp of what you want the machine to do, and then ask questions based on that. Good luck working it out.
The $8000.00 lathe that woodworkers supply sells would most likely do every thing you could ask of a lathe for instance. But how many can afford one of those?:eek::eek::)
Bob