PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
06-27-2008, 7:05 AM
Friday June 27th, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

Well, it's the last weekend of June already. Can hardly believe LOML has been gone 2 weeks and should be home today.

Since all the rain we had at the beginning of the month [12 inches in less than a week] we've now been without rain since. It's getting dry and I've had to start watering the lawn. :mad: Hopefully we'll get some rain today.

Not sure what's on the agenda for the weekend. If it stays hot and humid like it is now, I'll just stay in the house and enjoy the A/C. If not, I'll try working on one of the 3 projects I've got going.

So, what's up in your neck of the woods? Work, play, fun, games? Or just relax and take it easy?

Whatever you're up to I hope you enjoy your time and have a great weekend. Please make it SAFE.

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
06-27-2008, 7:27 AM
My wife left 3 weeks ago. I left 2 weeks ago. I should, hopefully arrive home late this evening. My wife and her mother arrive tomorrow at noon.

This weekend....mow, trim....and if my new t/s tenoning tool has arrived,
see if it fits my saw.

Bob Moyer
06-27-2008, 7:35 AM
Friday June 27th, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

Well, it's the last weekend of June already. Can hardly believe LOML has been gone 2 weeks and should be home today.

Since all the rain we had at the beginning of the month [12 inches in less than a week] we've now been without rain since. It's getting dry and I've had to start watering the lawn. :mad: Hopefully we'll get some rain today.

Not sure what's on the agenda for the weekend. If it stays hot and humid like it is now, I'll just stay in the house and enjoy the A/C. If not, I'll try working on one of the 3 projects I've got going.

So, what's up in your neck of the woods? Work, play, fun, games? Or just relax and take it easy?

Whatever you're up to I hope you enjoy your time and have a great weekend. Please make it SAFE.

Karl

Not only this weekend, but the next 9 days I will be working at the Kutztown German Festival; our church serves a sitdown all you can eat Pennsylvania Dutch Dinner. $12.00
http://www.kutztownfestival.com/
Last year we served almost 9,000 people.

Matt Meiser
06-27-2008, 8:18 AM
Tomorrow I have to help my brother move some furniture which won't be hard but will involve a lot more driving than I'd like at today's gas prices. I need to mow, if the weather lets me, and any other free time I have will be spent working on reassembling my jointer.

Greg Cole
06-27-2008, 8:21 AM
Working on the deck build and hopefully getting 99% of it done. I've had some long days this week working on framing it after working at the day job in anticipation of sitting next to the pool for a few hours instead of slaving away directly next to it.
Also heading out Saturday early eve for a KC Creeker meet, looks like a few will turn out anyway.

Cheers.
Greg

JohnT Fitzgerald
06-27-2008, 8:26 AM
Heading to our place on the Cape for a few weeks. I'll commute to work and the wife will enjoy the (hopefulyl) nice weather with the kids. But since I don't have a 'shop' there, looks like other than minor repairs and 'projects' in the yard, I won't be doing anything constructive.

Dave Anderson NH
06-27-2008, 8:53 AM
I'll be in Canterbury NH about a mile north of the Shaker Village demonstrating making bowsaws with hand tools. It's an attempted resurrection of what used to be Wood Days at the village where all kinds of woodworkers do demos and there's live bluegrass music all day. If the weather holds it should be a fun weekend.

Rick Gooden
06-27-2008, 9:24 AM
Pick up 300 bf of cherry on Saturday.

Jim Becker
06-27-2008, 9:31 AM
Well...Professor Dr. SWMBO's sister is in from Spain and there is a 50th birthday party for her. So no meaningful work around here due to that diversion.

Ben Cadotte
06-27-2008, 9:45 AM
Finally at home. Been taking it easy for 2 days. Might get around to doing something today. Supposed to go out for anniversery dinner tonight.

No Rome trip for me. I did my passport renewal at a Post Office. Paid their high fee for new pictures there. Well, when I went through my mail, found they rejected my renawal becasue the new pictures were too dark. :mad: The fee's the PO charges are like 3x what others do. I figured what could go wrong with going to the place that does it all the time. :confused: Well, now I have to send it in again and wait. Will not get it back in time for the trip though. So that makes it tougher on my boss scheduling wise. And I look bad as I had plenty of time to get it done in time.

Want to do something in the shop but can't think of anything. Maybe I have a slight case of depression. Nothing seems exciting right now. 3 weeks to vacation though. :D

The lights I thought were great over the winter are now quitting. Electronic ballast lights that worked great over the winter are not working so well now. My failure rate is at 40% (verified not the bulbs or power problem). The boxes don't mention any warranty (bought 2 spares didn't save the ones that are installed). So not sure if I can return them. I think I have had them for 10 months. Not sure what normal Borg return rules are. But thinking since I don't have the boxes I am up the creek. They were the less expensive one's so not out alot of money. Worked great over the winter when it was cold. They would instantaly come on even when down below freezing. But I think they were just made too cheap to last. :(

Kyle Kraft
06-27-2008, 9:51 AM
Timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, and PS belt on the Odyssey.

JohnT Fitzgerald
06-27-2008, 9:55 AM
Timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, and PS belt on the Odyssey.

An Odyssey....is that a new brand of lathe or TS? :)

Michael Liechty
06-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Shooting squirrels tomorrow and then trying to get out Townhouse ready for renters. Still need to paint 3 BR, LR, and Stairwell, Patch some drywall. get moved into the new place all before 8-1. Got to get the shop set up first though.

ML

Lance Norris
06-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Me...? I'm gonna sit out back and look at the nice straight rows of shingles that I pounded on my barn this week. Man, am I glad thats done!!

Michael Schumacher
06-27-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm hoping that the Multi-Gauge shows up today...that way I can spend some time tuning up the Jointer.
http://www.oneway.ca/workshop/multi-gauge.htm

Otherwise I will be working on the bed - or at least working on the finishing part of it. I've got some tests to do on some boards to see if everything will look good or not.

I wish I could get on the bike and ride some 20+ miles, but I've been fighting a cough for the last 2 weeks - I'm about over it, but I think a few more days would be good.

Michael

Pat Germain
06-27-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm still trying to get the inside of my house painted! And I'm doing that so I can install hardwood flooring. Sheesh, this taking a long time. I still have several doors and the baseboards to paint.

For anyone who does painting for a living, I tip my hat to you. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, drop me a line and I'll buy you a beer. You've earned it!

Greg Hines, MD
06-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Taking the Scout Troop out Geocaching for the first time tomorrow, so getting ready for that.

On Sunday, I am going to try to cut up some parts for a quilt rack.

Doc

Douglas Brummett
06-27-2008, 2:35 PM

Karl

There should be about 100lb of portable planer waiting for me at home. I just need to put together a tool stand for it and get it set up. Review will go up after I formulate some initial impressions and make some chips :D

Then of course there is fixing the tablesaw's alignment. That should kill an afternoon.

Chris Kennedy
06-27-2008, 2:51 PM
If all goes well, I will spend most of this weekend installing a new Excalibur on my saw and getting the rest of the shop re-organized. I figure the Excalibur will take me a few hours tomorrow if no one helps me. If my 18month old decides to help, I'll probably be done by Monday night.

After that, I can actually start generating sawdust and shavings again.

Chris

Tyler Howell
06-27-2008, 3:34 PM
Back in the Minneapple for a wedding and family gathering then up to NW Minnesota for a little R&R from this grueling retirement.

Ted Jay
06-27-2008, 3:50 PM
I'm gonna see if I can finish up the door to the shop addition and get the rest of the sheet metal up. For the last four weekends other things keep coming up, or the weather is not cooperating.

Everyone stay safe,
Ted

John Sanford
06-27-2008, 4:43 PM
Tonite, doing more work getting the shop in shape. Going to the Great Western Truck Show tomorrow. Some more work on the shop, almost set up now. Sunday, hopefully I'll be repairing the trailer wiring harness connections on my motorcycle trailer, if the parts arrive. And, may get some actual woodworking done!! woohooo!!

Ed Kilburn
06-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Thursday Gary McKown and I went to Grizzly and picked up our new bandsaws. Saturday I found time to put the saw on the 2nd floor. I'll wait for a cooler day to put it together. Someday I'll get the shop insulated, and OSB on the walls. Then I'll install AC and heat, to make a year round shop.

Gary McKown
06-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah, Ed was gracious enough to allow my Bear (0513X2) to also follow us home (missed great photo op of two saws in the back of Ed's Toyota). NOTE: 0513 in crate will not fit under a standard garage door sill even with a low forklift without removing the top row of slats from the crate.I was gone all weekend but last night busted the crate open, got out and de-gunked the table top and fence assembly. Tonight will dismount and de-gunk the trunnions, set up the mobile base, and remove the remainder of the crate in preparation for some friends to help get it into the shop. Shouldn't be too difficult as the affair (without trunnions, table top, and fence) probably only weighs 230 lbs. or so.

I thought it funny that the unpacking instructions left out an important first step - remove the crate. It starts with "unbolt from pallet and use lift ring".