PDA

View Full Version : Super Scary Looking TS jig

Joe Jensen
06-26-2008, 11:03 PM
I just saw this on the toolmonger blog. Supposed to make cutting small pieces, but it looks super scary. Looks very flimsy, and the short length of the jig makes a fence setting this wide pretty risky. Heres the link and a pic.

http://toolmonger.com/2008/06/26/the-finger-saver/

glenn bradley
06-26-2008, 11:12 PM
I looked at that jig and passed. It is so flimsy you can't get an adequate grip on your material. That said, using it as shown is quite foolish. The front handle is way too close to the business end of that saw for me. I'll assume BJ never actually used the jig. I know someone here got one and promptly abandoned it.

David DeCristoforo
06-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Bet you won't find any "UL" sticker on that one.....

Brian Kent
06-26-2008, 11:32 PM
It's not the finger-saver, it's the knuckle-slice-o-matic.:(

Dick Rowe
06-27-2008, 12:40 AM
I purchased one of those a couple years ago to hold small pieces for some free-hand edge routing on my router table that I either forgot, or couldn't do earler when the pieces were longer.

As I assembled it I was thinking I would never use the 45 degree adjuster feature (the curved piece on top) but put it on anyway just in case. Usually if I leave parts off something like that I never can find them later when needed. I really cranked the brass knurled knobs that hold it on down tight.

It was working fine on the first 10 pieces when suddenly I heard a loud crack, and it felt like something moved past my left side at a high rate of speed. After stopping the router I noticed that a large chunk of carbide was broken off my expensive router bit and then noticed that the small bolt on the 45 degree bar had unscrewed from the brass knurled knob (probably) because of vibration and must have dropped right onto the router bit spinning at 25K.

I never did find the bolt in my shop, but am glad it is embedded in the concrete wall somewhere, and not in me. Needless to say, after I went upstairs to change my underwear I promptly went back to the shop and tossed this jig.

My advise if you have one of these would be to remove the 45 degree bar and it's associated hardware. Could be a widow maker.

Bruce Benjamin
06-27-2008, 1:31 AM
I got one of those from HF for cheap. I would never use it on a tablesaw but I have used it a few times to hold small pieces, (Drawer handles) on my router table. It worked just fine. I couldn't think of any other way to do the task at hand and I'm glad I had it. With any tool you should periodically check to make sure the nuts and bolts are tightened down. I wouldn't call this a high quality tool but it worked quite well for me when I needed it.

Bruce

fRED mCnEILL
06-27-2008, 6:54 PM
I got one of those a few years ago and never considered using it for the ts.(not because I thought it was dangerous, I just never thought of it) I've used it a few times on the router table and it works fine.

Fred Mc.

Peter Quinn
06-27-2008, 7:19 PM
Do they make a right handed version? That looks like the one handed version.:D:D

That jig is just one more reason tool makers should not sniff marking dye during the design phase. It looks like a very complicated and dangerous way to accomplish an otherwise simple task. WOW is all I can say.

Steve Flavin001
06-27-2008, 8:03 PM
I have one of these and it's really pretty decent and effective - if used for the intended purpose which you have all mistaken :eek:

This little gem is, by design, and intended purpose, only a holder for small workpieces ON THE SHAPER OR ROUTER TABLE. .

It was never intended for use on a table saw and would likely be disastrous as you have demonstrated in the photos :eek:

To use, turn it sideways, holding both handles and rout the small workpiece in the center, NOT feeding it through any saw blade as you have it shown.

I just went to the link, and actually THEY were the ones who got it all wrong even recommending it for that use, I meant no offense in the term of art used here. S.