PDA

View Full Version : Oak NE Bowl

Greg Just
06-26-2008, 9:53 PM
Here is my second NE bowl. It's red oak from a tree that fell last winter. The sides are about 1/4 inch thick and the sides range in height from 2 to 4 inches and it is about 7.5 inches in diameter. The finish is buffed BLO. I need to buff it a little more.

This is my second NE bowl, what do you think? Should I have made the sides thicker to keep more bark?

Bruce Pennell
06-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Greg looks great, it really shows off the rings in the middle of the bowl. Great job...Bruce

Steve Schlumpf
06-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Greg - you did a great job on this one! Looks fairly thin, lots of bark and is some really good looking wood! Looking forward to number three!

Jon Lanier
06-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Nice bowl. :D

I'm going to get brave enough to do a NE bowl someday.:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Greg great looking NE. Left lots of bark and the wood grain looks great.

Clara Koss
06-27-2008, 1:12 PM
very nice bowl and i think it is good just as is....

Greg Just
06-27-2008, 2:09 PM
Nice bowl. :D

I'm going to get brave enough to do a NE bowl someday.:rolleyes:

Jon - the wood was free so all I would loose is the labor and I put way too much time getting the inside finished. Plus, I screwed up the bottom a lit and the bowl rocks a little. Can't seem to get it flat. It was a poor design on my part

Richard Madison
06-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Greg,
Looks to me like you did a very good job saving the bark. Guess you could try 3/8" on the next one, but I bet you'll want to trim it carefully to 1/4" like this one.

Consider a more rounded shape from the sides down to the bottom, so that the bottom is about 1/3 the diameter of the top or the largest diameter of the piece.

Beautiful end grain! Just tell folks that "Oak Rocks".

Ben Gastfriend
06-28-2008, 9:12 AM
Looks great. I would have knocked all the bark off there. Little more buffing would do the trick, but be careful of that bark.