PDA

View Full Version : Critique Requested on Hollow Form

Ken Vonk
06-26-2008, 9:09 PM
This is my latest project. Please give me your honest opinion. What would you do different and why? The hollow form is Maple Burl with "bright red inlace" from Woodcraft in the larger voids. It measures approximately 5 1/2" tall and 4 1/4" in diameter. The opening is 1" in diameter and the base is about 1 3/8" in diameter. The wall thickness starts at 1/8" at the opening and gradually increases to 1/4" on the sides and 1/2" at the bottom. The lid with finial is made from black claro walnut, is 2 1/2" tall and 2" in diameter at it's widest. Both are finished with 4 coats of satin wipe on poly. I'm very new to this and can use all the help I can get. Would you suggest buffing when dry?

Thanks,

Ken

George Guadiane
06-26-2008, 10:00 PM
I don't see anything to be dishonest about.
Nice form, the finish looks even and the finial is right for the piece.

Bruce Pennell
06-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Ken it looks great, nice shape, great form. I like the red inlace, everything looks great...Bruce

Bill Bolen
06-26-2008, 10:11 PM
I really wish I could offer some constructive advice but..........it's just plain beautiful! I don't think ot can get any better! Way to go...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
06-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Ken, this is a very nice looking hollow form! Beautiful wood and lots of color! I can tell you put a lot of time into creating this and it shows!

As for a critique: The finish looks great with no obvious tear outs or burnished areas. The form itself has a nice continuous curve from the shoulder to the foot with no flat spots. The finial has very nice details, is beautiful wood and it's design fits the style of the hollow form.

After looking at the photo for close to an hour - I keep coming back to one small thing. To me the form and finial combination seem a little out of balance. Either the foot could be narrower or the finial could be longer. Again, this is a personal taste observation and is only mentioned to get your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for posting Ken! I look forward to seeing your next one!

Bernie Weishapl
06-26-2008, 11:37 PM
I have to agree. That is a great looking HF and the finial looks good. Well done.

Bob Hallowell
06-27-2008, 6:24 AM
I think the piece looks great! both form and finish. If I were to change one thing though I might make the foot a little smaller.

Bob

robert hainstock
06-27-2008, 7:57 AM
It is a fine piece of ART. I like the foot. Does not look like it is about to fall over. It can set in my display any time. :D:D
Bob

Frank Kobilsek
06-27-2008, 7:58 AM
Ken

As has been said if you are new to this keep it up. You have the gift which allows you to see pleasing shape.

One observation: I can not see it in the picture but your description says you filled the large voids with Inlace. From that I assume there are some small voids left unfilled. If I fill anything I fill everything. The little fine lines of the small voids really highlight a piece when filled.

Very nice piece

Frank

Paul Engle
06-27-2008, 8:37 AM
Nice work on the hf, as for buffing, poly u's are designed for abrasion resistance , I think you will find buffing it may cause it to cloud somewhat, as you are using an abrasive to polish, U's takes a natural alignment which allows the light to shine back at the same angle it hits the surface ( on gloss) so any buffing realigns the surface molicules to scatter the light ( like satin , or semi gloss or egg shell , etc) and hence the cloudness look. I find the best way to finish with U's is flood the surface and very slowly (20 rpm or less) let it rotate until it sets up.

Malcolm Tibbetts
06-27-2008, 8:59 AM
Ken, I really can't suggest anything to improve the shape, etc; it's a very nice piece of work. One suggestion: if your desire is a "satin" finish, start by applying gloss finish coats first, and only put one satin coat on at the end of the process. By doing so, you will maintain a "clearer" (less cloudy) finish, but still have the satin look when you're done.

Ken Vonk
06-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Frank, I filled almost all of the voids. The smaller ones at the top are filled with clear thick CA. The voids at the bottom 1" or so are not filled. I don't have any way to turn the hollow form around and turn the bottom. I parted the hollow form and then hand sanded the bottom.

Thanks for the suggestions though. It's great learning some of the 'tricks of the trade'.

Ken Vonk
06-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Malcom, thanks for the great tip. I have your book and will be starting some segmented pieces soon. I just picked a 12" disc sander but now I have to build a bench for it...lol Your work is very inspirational and I am amazed at the amount of work, the attention to detail and the intricate designs.

Thanks,

Ken

Clara Koss
06-27-2008, 1:03 PM
the red really makes the piece stand out and the work looks like you have been doing it for a long time.... keep posting, i love to see what all you guys and gals make...;)

Tamara Brown
06-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Love the shape and the color and I think the finial is a good size for the vessel. Nice job!

Bob Hallowell
06-28-2008, 8:00 AM
Frank, I filled almost all of the voids. The smaller ones at the top are filled with clear thick CA. The voids at the bottom 1" or so are not filled. I don't have any way to turn the hollow form around and turn the bottom. I parted the hollow form and then hand sanded the bottom.

Thanks for the suggestions though. It's great learning some of the 'tricks of the trade'.

on a peice like that just make a tapered jamb peice of wood to fit the hole, place the HF over it and then bring your tail stock up and you can finish your bottom after it is parted off.

Bob

Curt Fuller
06-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Like everyone else, I can't find anything to criticize. My only 'wish it were a little different' thought is the inlace fill. You've done a great job with it and it looks very nice. But I'm one those stubborn old diehards that thinks adding a foreign material detracts from the beauty of the wood. I'm betting this wood have also been a real knock out with just the voids in the burl. But that's just my opinion and you know how opinions go. It's a beautiful hollowform!

Ken Vonk
06-28-2008, 5:51 PM
It appears that many don't like the addition of fillers such as inlace. How do you feel about dyes and texturing? Piercing, painting and dyeing seem to be very popular on the AAW site. Not being critical, just curious.

Thanks, Ken

Curt Fuller
06-28-2008, 6:20 PM
It appears that many don't like the addition of fillers such as inlace. How do you feel about dyes and texturing? Piercing, painting and dyeing seem to be very popular on the AAW site. Not being critical, just curious.

Thanks, Ken

There's now doubt that some people do some beautiful artwork with all the things you mentioned and more. But, to me, some wood is the art. I don't think I'd try to out do what Mother Nature has done.

Dennis Peacock
06-29-2008, 9:29 AM
Ken,

A very nice turning you have there. Pretty and wood of choice is very pleasing to the eye. The only thing that seems to make me look twice is the size of the finial. The form of the finial is very well done and pretty to me. It just needs to be a wee bit taller and an ever so slight increase in girth. Just seems as if the total piece is out of balance, if you will. It appears that your tool control is very good, finishing process is very good and the curve of the HF is a nice continuous curve. After thinking about it just a tad more, maybe the finial is ok and the bottom of the form needed to be a little smaller in diameter...giving it a more "delicate" appearance.

Overall, very pretty piece and nicely done. I had to look long and hard to find anything at all to pick at ya about. Keep it up.!!! Fine work.!!!

Mike Minto
07-25-2008, 9:53 PM
Lovely piece. I would only say that to fit the dimension of the main figure, the finial could be a little more stout - slightly more diameter, and a little more height. Wonderful wood and excellent finish, though - great job. Mike :p

Jeff Hounshell
07-25-2008, 11:38 PM
I like it a bunch and I think you did a great job. I do have a question though. What would it have looked like had you not filled the voids with the red inlace? I kinda like some open holes in certain pieces. Just wondering if you felt you HAD to fill them, or you just wanted to fill them. Just curious.

Jim Underwood
07-26-2008, 12:10 PM
I like the general form and the wood. The finial direction, size, crispness also looks good to me.

Besides possibly changing the inlay color, I'd change a couple of minor points about the form. See the arrows on the attached image for what "sticks out". I'd smooth off those relatively abrupt curves where they stick out. I think that's what is throwing off the balance.

I like the finish just as it is personally. I'm not sure I like a real glossy finish - unless you have the surface absolutely perfect. If you have the least bit of imperfections or dust bunnies (or a lot) in the finish the glossy just looks tacky in my opinion.

Nice job on the inside shape too. I'm not at the point where I can get that nice gradual curve on the inside... I've only roughed out a couple of hollow forms without any kind of gooseneck tool so far, but it sure is fun!