PDA

View Full Version : TS Wiring Question

Jay Yoder
06-26-2008, 8:44 PM
I am in the midst of installing a 40a bkr in my sub panel to run my Jet 5hp TS. The sub panel is an 100a SQ D QO line MLO. I was looking at the panel and had a thought...Insert pun here...anyhow...I am wondering if it matters if the new bkr is installed at the top (slots 2&4) or in the next available slots. I would figure it would not matter, but i am no electrician. I can "easily" relocate the other breakers to allow installing the TS at the top of the bus bar if it matters...any thoughts? Thanks for your input.

Jim Mattheiss
06-26-2008, 8:55 PM
I'm no electrician.

I read that 2 pole breakers should be as close to the main breaker as possible.

That's worth what you paid for it! ;)

I'm sure someone will chime in.

Jim

jerry nazard
06-26-2008, 9:17 PM
Jay,

I would install the breaker in the next available set of slots.

-Jerry

David Freed
06-27-2008, 4:47 AM
I am no electrician either. I think if it was more dangerous, less efficient, etc, to put it in one slot compared to another, there would be warnings on the panel.
I have a 100 amp 2 pole breaker installed near the bottom of my 200 amp service panel and it is working fine. It runs my phase converter, if you are wondering.

David G Baker
06-27-2008, 7:59 AM
I don't know if it makes a difference either but I try my best to put my breakers in line in the next available slot or slots. Once in a while I don't have any options due to needing a 220v set of slots.

Mike Cutler
06-27-2008, 8:37 AM
I am in the midst of installing a 40a bkr in my sub panel to run my Jet 5hp TS. The sub panel is an 100a SQ D QO line MLO. I was looking at the panel and had a thought...Insert pun here...anyhow...I am wondering if it matters if the new bkr is installed at the top (slots 2&4) or in the next available slots. I would figure it would not matter, but i am no electrician. I can "easily" relocate the other breakers to allow installing the TS at the top of the bus bar if it matters...any thoughts? Thanks for your input.

Jay

This should be the info on your panel from Square D. It "appears" that it shouldn't matter. Make sure to select the correct specified breaker, if you haven't already, per the manufacturer. The info is in this catalog.
Note that if you have tandem breakers installed those locations are specified in the panel loading info.
It's a 1.5 meg file, so give it a little time to load.

http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Electrical%20Distribution/Surge%20Protective%20Devices/0110PL9401.pdf

Prashun Patel
06-27-2008, 8:45 AM
I don't see how it could possibly matter. The hot and neutral busses run the length of the panel. Why should it matter whether you tap into either at the top or bottom? As long as your breaker is making solid contact, it would be fine.

Jay Yoder
06-27-2008, 10:01 PM
I guess my thinking is that i was looking at the panel and was trying to balance loading. I did not figure it would matter b/c each side has its own feeder wire. Typically the TS will be operated with a dust collector on a different circuit and i was trying to keep both legs balanced, but maybe i am being too anal about it...

Tom Veatch
06-27-2008, 10:16 PM
...Typically the TS will be operated with a dust collector on a different circuit and i was trying to keep both legs balanced, ...

If the TC and DC are both 240 volts, they will each draw equally from each leg and will, therefore, automatically present a balanced load regardless of the individual amperage draws.

If they are both 120 volts, then the best you can do to balance the load would be to run one from a breaker that connects to one leg and the other from a breaker that connects to the other leg. Their vertical position in the breaker box is immaterial so long as they are on opposite legs. Whether or not the load is balanced between those two loads is totally dependent on what amperage each draws.

If one is 120 and the other is 240, forget balancing the load. One will draw equally from both legs and the other will draw from only one leg making it impossible to balance the load between legs.