PDA

View Full Version : A-beading I will go...

Al Navas
06-26-2008, 7:40 PM
I had a dilemma to solve: How to decorate the apron on a small stool for granddaughter #2? She uses a little stool to sit while playing the guitar, during her guitar lessons.

I don't have any power tools that would give me what I *wanted*: I really, really wanted a narrow groove and a bead on the bottom edge of the aprons. Finally, the little light went on, and out came the solution:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/stanley76-2.png

My Stanley 66 Universal hand beader! I purchased this baby at an auction recently. And it performed flawlessly, after a few minutes tweaking the cutter.

You can read the rest of the gory details on my blog entry (http://sandal-woodsblog.com/2008/06/25/a-beading-i-will-go/).

Phillip Pattee
06-26-2008, 8:36 PM
Al,
Thanks for the post. I've wanted a Stanley 66 beader for about 8 months now. Never seem to win one on ebay and haven't seen any in antique stores. I did not know about an antique tool auction in the area, where do you find out about these?:confused:
Phil

Jim Koepke
06-26-2008, 9:55 PM
Al,
I've wanted a Stanley 66 beader for about 8 months now. Never seem to win one on ebay and haven't seen any in antique stores.
Phil

Phil,
Keep on trying, patience is the way, then one will come your way and you will wonder how you got so lucky.

As mentioned in my small gloat thread, found one of these in an antique shop while killing time waiting for my wife. Not a great deal at $8.12 with tax. There was no blades, no holding screw and no fences.

Can't keep a neander down though. I used an adjustable 1/4-28 die and a brass #10 wood screw to cut a 10-28 screw. Used a chain saw file on an old piece of saw blade to make a beading blade and used the fence from a Stanley 71. It is amazing how this actually is a bit easier to get a good bead than a Stanley 45. The length is also easier to control. I think it is as good any $8.12 that I have spent in a long time.

I have been wanting one for a couple of years now. So good luck finding one. I almost made a "scratch stock" out of scraps, just never got a round tuit. Well, I did cut a kerf to start one, then my wife called me to do something else and never got back to it.

The things we do for tools.

jim